ABB Pluto 0 Safety PLC

Is this machine European? This makes a difference because many, if not all, machine manufacturer's that use these safety PLC's have to get the programs approved by whatever agency does it (not that familiar with the actual process) and ship from the factory with the program on the PLC.

There is plenty of documentation in the manual, but if the machine was not made by you the company will most likely not give you access to the program, and you will void you warranty if you do and their techs will not touch the machine.

Why do you want to alter this program?

Did you guys build the machine yourself?

The machine is American I believe. its an auto lathe to cut large lengths of pipe up to 6" in diameter. The safety gates on it wont unlock until the machine comes to a complete stop. I originally thought there would be a sensor to tell the safety relay the machine is still in motion after some investigating on the paper work i have on it, the safety PLC program has a 20 second timer. Originally when the machine was new it took less then the 20 seconds for it to stop. however now that is not the case as the doors can open with the machine still in motion for 5 seconds more.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/001222bf28b320c7c1257b6a00407e1a/2TLC172001M0209_D.pdf

That will give you all the info you need on the connection and cable. You will need a specific cable. That tells you nothing about any access restrictions placed on the program though, so you may have to get in touch with the company. Keep in mind that this can void their warranty, and it may actually be a warranty issue they will come and fix for free for you.

I agree, this needs to be a sensor (better yet two sensors in case one fails) instead of a timer.

That being said, it may be a mechanical issue with a break that needs to be looked into, and you could be band-aiding the problem.

I have never programmed one of these, but I had a boss that ordered one from a vendor instead of the manufacturer and would NOT believe me that the safety program was burned into the chip on the PLC from the factory and never touched by human hands once approved. He kept insisting that I could just load the program onto it.

Finally it took the OEM telling him this directly and that he bypassed those protections they would never touch that machine again and would not honor the warranty.

Fried a few of these because the other techs didn't believe you can not jumper out these inputs due to the frequency modulations in the rest of the system.

Anyway, good luck to you on this one!

I downloaded the Pluto Manager program, It is asking for a product key but there is an option to run in demo mode. Will I be able to connect to the PLC with just the cable and the demo mode?

I have worked on a couple of these systems but it was a few years back.
In my circumstance, there was a small tag that was affixed to a chip under the Pluto. This code if I remember correctly was a 4 digit code and again my memory is fuzzy but I think that code allowed access to the program.

It was a small tag and hard to see without getting on your knees and looking in under the controller.

Sorry I cant be more specific.