Accessing a PLC remotely.

It's Great and Awesome! i use VM and tested on remote connection with S7 as well as Flex RT with succeeded. Thanks JesperMP :geek:

Last edited:
Hi Jesper!

I did a configuration following your manual. I can't ping remote PLC from my PG (office) via TeamViewer VPN. I can ping remote PC's IP (on the same segment as PLC), but PLC address is not responsive (I can ping PLC from remote PC). Something wrong with routing...I think? I modified registry and started Routnig and Remote Access service on the remote PC + add static route to my office PC .. is there anything else to configure?

Regards,

Miran

Hi Jesper!

I did a configuration following your manual. I can't ping remote PLC from my PG (office) via TeamViewer VPN. I can ping remote PC's IP (on the same segment as PLC), but PLC address is not responsive (I can ping PLC from remote PC). Something wrong with routing...I think? I modified registry and started Routnig and Remote Access service on the remote PC + add static route to my office PC .. is there anything else to configure?

Regards,

Miran

Please, Can anyone help!?🤞🏻

Teamviewer, LogMeIn... both software's can help you, then you'll need a computer at the remote place with any of those software installed...

The computer that needs to have the PLC software will be the one at customer's place.

Good luck.

We have used teamviewer whitch is nice, there is also one called WinVNC that seem to be prety simple to use, you might look it up.

Teamviewer, LogMeIn... both software's can help you, then you'll need a computer at the remote place with any of those software installed...

The computer that needs to have the PLC software will be the one at customer's place.

Good luck.

Hi!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough I allerady have a solution setup on a Teamviewer platform. I'm not asking for alternatives I just would like to get some help regarding routing Teamviewer VPN nad local LAN (PLC) subnets. It seems that JesperMP manual, which i followed, is not enough in my case.

Hello Jesper, i followed your guide but can not ping the PLC. For me it's not possible to set the gateway in the PLC. The PLC is at the same network as the remote PC. Remote PC has 192.168.1.70 and the PLC has 192.168.1.101. Is there a way to ping the PLC using Teamviewer VPN ? I can ping the remote PC at 192.168.1.70

Remotely access PLC via VPN and cell phone hotspot

Yes, I wrote a guide HERE.
The guide describes how to Teamviewer VPN with Siemens STEP7, but the principle is the same. You just have to have the intermediary PCs IP address set as the "router" (or "gateway") in the AB CPU.

Thanks for the write up JesperMP. I was working on setting up a network using your guide. I had a little trouble but I ran out of time today to keep at it. I'll get back on the project in a day or two. My application is a little different but I think it will work the same. I am working on using a cell phone 3G or 4G hotspot to connect the laptop VPN to the programmers PC. I think my main issue was that I neglected the step to set the gateway in the PLC & HMI so they are currently blank.

Question on your write up. Where you describe how to use the 'route add...' command you indicate the command line is 'route add <IP of remote PLC>...' but your example says 'route add 192.168.1.132 mask...'

.132 was your remote PC's 2nd NIC address. The PLC address was .131

Was this a typo or should it say <IP of remote 2nd NIC> or <remote gateway to equipment LAN> or something like that?

Also curious, how does adding the route to the 'PG' computer direct traffic from the remote PC's 2nd NIC to the remote PC's 1st NIC? On the remote PC how does the traffic get from the 2nd NIC to the 1st NIC (WiFi adapter in my case)?

Thanks for your help.

We use a Verizon wireless modem. We ship it to the customer they plug it in and as long as they get a Verizon wireless signal we can troubleshoot remotely. Then it gets shipped back and on to the next customer it goes. This avoids having to deal with the nightmare of IT security. We have also had success using secure.logmein.com when there is a tech on site.

I've done SixNet modems, hooking the machine up to the DMZ port, port forwarding, Hamachi, fully loaded service laptop running VNC stashed in the panel, and e.WON. Of those, I recommend the service laptop route for unreliable internet areas and e.WON for everywhere else (if the connection drops, the service laptop will finish its transfer).

My old company got to a point that if you wouldn't buy an e.WON, they put in the contract that you would cover all travel and be billed at 110% normal service rate. If you didn't have cable or fiber internet, they also pushed a service laptop and the maintenance edition of the programming software.

@Jesper, your pdf explains it very well, deeply apreciated!

Now for the routing part, instead of using Windows' native "route add" function, are there other software that accomplish the same results? I ask this because not always we have access to activating Window's Routing OR being able to restart the PC for that to work. Many thanks!

If the domain rules are preventing you from changing the routing table, there probably won't be a way around it. You'll just have to get the domain administrator to do their job and make the change for you.

You don't need to restart for changes to the routing table to take effect; as soon as you do the route add command, it will start working.