AD Click Plus / C-More Micro HMI can’t add

sparkyinak

I have both an Automation Direct Click Plus PLC and a EA3 series Micro HMI that I’m getting a feeling for before a big project since I haven’t use one before. See attached pics.

The first pic is practice program and it shows the whole program that’s is currently on the PLC. It’s just an on delay timer (T1) that reads its time from data register DS7 which is a single word integer. The next picture is a screenshot of the HMI where DS7 gets its time data inputed. DS7 is the result of a math problem from line 3 where it doubles of the hour (HH) input which is data register DS6 and then adds the minutes (MM) input to for a total for data register DS7.

On the HMI screens, the number in the center in the square is the time entry, and the number in the upper left of the HMI screen is DS7 which is the result of the PLC math from line 3 of the program. Line 3 is to convert the hour and minute time setting to minutes for the timer in line one. I know, the 2 should be 60 to convert the hour settings to minutes. I temporarily changed the 60 to 2 to speed up the testing versus waiting hours. That’s not the problem

As I run the program and monitor the PLC, like in the next two pics, as more time is added through the HMI, the math starts out correctly and DS7 adjusts according. The number in the upper left of the screen on the HMI and the result of Line 3 and timer setting on line 1 which is DS7 should all 3 equal the same, all the time. As more time is added, the number in the upper left of the screen and the goals on the PLC fall out of sync. Picture 3, DS7, the upper left number on the HMI is in correct because as the formula on line 3 of the program doubles the hours and add the minutes so 2x8+0=16, not 10 as its shows so the HMI is in correct. In picture 4, the PLC is incorrect. The time on the HMI shows 0:10. Using the same formula, the number on the HMI and on the computer screen should read 10. The HMI is correct this time but now the PLC is off.

As more time is added, the worse it gets. The parentheses in the math problem are only there to see if that fixed the issue and it didn’t. It will do the same thing with or without them. It’s not random errors but consistent. Like on the picture 4, the count goes, 8, 9, and it skips to 16, 17… Skips the same numbers going back.

Any ideas what could be causing it? The proposed project will have several timing adjustments that are critical and currently having some genuine concerns. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a known issue or do I have a system that just can’t add beyond 10?

It sounds like a decimal vs BCD/Hexadecimal display problem. 16decimal = 10BCD/Hex. The PLC monitoring program is showing the correct total but in Hexadecimal. The HMI is displaying the same but in decimal. If the calculated total is 9-15 what shows in the PLC? Possibly a-f?

Last edited:
It sounds like a decimal vs BCD/Hexadecimal display problem. 16decimal = 10BCD/Hex. The PLC monitoring program is showing the correct total but in Hexadecimal. The HMI is displaying the same but in decimal. If the calculated total is 10-15 what shows in the PLC? Possibly a-f?

Changed "9-15" to "10-15"

WELL CRAPOLA! I’m not sure what happened. Here you all go. Thanx. Sorry about that.

I though5 it may be a hexadecimal issue but the numbers didn’t seem right.

Thanx again all

IMG_9284.jpeg IMG_9285.jpeg IMG_9286.jpeg IMG_9287.jpeg

As I mentioned, try entering 10 thru 15 minutes. See what the PLC computes and what the display shows. Make a table. Your pictures are too blurry for me to see any values. (Though maybe it's my 73 year old eyes.)

I think I figured out the picture issue. They are grainy, likely due to my account status so I am unable to upload legible pictures. They are downsized by the server of this group making them not legible. I'll see if I can upload the photos some other way

I looked into the program and the formula seems to be configured in the decimal format and not hexadecimal format. sometimes the error is in the PLC while the HMI is showing the correct answer and other times the error lies in the HMI while the PLC is showing it correctly. According to the help files of the PLC, the DS registers is a one-word register for integers. There are separate registers for hexadecimals, just not the DS registers

I may have just stumbled on the issue by accident. the HMI formats the numbers in a "BCD" type format that I am unfamiliar with and I stumbled across a note in the help files of Click Plus that states "The Click PLC does not support DCD or Octal Type Data".

That may just be the issue and I need to change the formatting of the HMI. While on the subject of BCD data types. What the heck is a "BCD" data type?

What the heck is a "BCD" data type?
Binary Coded Decimal.
Instead of each bit representing a power of 2, in BCD each group of four bits in a 16-bit word represents a decimal digit. Bits zero through 3 are interpreted as the units, bits 4 through 7 as the 10s, bits 8 through 11 as the 100s, bits 12 through 15 as the 1000s. The decimal number 1234 in BCD is encoded as 0001 0010 0011 0100. It's not used much anymore.

Thank you for the explanation. I did change the register formatting to a decimal formatting. It did not fix all the problems. It’s still going from 9 to 16 on both the HMI and PLC. I’m going to change the formatting of both the HMI and PLC to Hexadecimal to see if that works. Just strikes me weird but my PLC experience is limited. I may reach out to Automation Direct about it. One would thing when something is formatted in decimal, it would count in tens and not skip the number equivalent of the six letters.

Hey, Thank you all for your assistance. I apologize for the photo issues, I was not aware of the issues till you pointed it out.

I do have it working correctly now. The HMI-generated registers were in BCD format which I found out reading later in a note on a table in the PLC help files that the PLC does not recognize BCD registers. The good or "bad" thing with PLCs. It is an ever-learning and evolving educational experience

The screenshots you posted I couldn't read, but assuming the data you want to display is a DS register (integer) make sure the HMI tag is set correctly. Example shown here.

hmi.JPG

Thanx. I’m not a paid subscriber so the picture upload is limited. I did post a link to my OneDrive account showing screenshots. I accidentally stumbled across the issue. The input data from the HMI was BCD formatted and found in a footnote in the Click Plus help files under think data types that the PLC software does not recognize BCD and OCTAL formatted registers.