Add a MicroLogix 1400 to the IO Tree in Studio 5000?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can you add a MicroLogix 1400 to the IO Tree in Studio 5000? I can't find an entry for it or anything that is 1762 for that mater.

I just want to be able to have a named reference to it, to use in my MSG instructions instead of an IP address.

Can you add a MicroLogix 1400 to the IO Tree in Studio 5000? I can't find an entry for it or anything that is 1762 for that mater.

I just want to be able to have a named reference to it, to use in my MSG instructions instead of an IP address.

Hi I'm going out on a limb here--not doing a lot of research, however this came up for me a few years back.
I don't think one can message (produce/consume?) from a control logix L series controller to a micrologix.
I may be thinking of something else. Maybe a generic ethernet module. I used those for stuff like hydraulic proportional valve controllers from Rexroth and that worked well. Studio 5000. Anyway I hope I've helped you in some way, maybe a good laugh.

Hi I'm going out on a limb here--not doing a lot of research, however this came up for me a few years back.
I don't think one can message (produce/consume?) from a control logix L series controller to a micrologix.
I may be thinking of something else. Maybe a generic ethernet module. I used those for stuff like hydraulic proportional valve controllers from Rexroth and that worked well. Studio 5000. Anyway I hope I've helped you in some way, maybe a good laugh.

You certainly can't produce/consume, but that's not what is being asked. From the sounds of it MSG instructions are already being used, OP just would prefer to be able to use the I/O tree to select the MSG target instead of manually entering it.

If there isn't an entry or AOI for adding it to the tree, I think the only option would be to try adding it as a generic module. I've never done it myself with a Micrologix, but I feel like it ought to work -- my understanding is that all the MSG uses from the I/O tree entry is the path anyways.

Micrologix is like slc type so you have to message them with an ip address. you cant have them in your io tree.

knowledgebase Document ID QA21608, states that too

Because the I/O tree is only for cyclic I/O connection definitions, and MicroLogix/SLC controllers don't support them, there is of course no MicroLogix object available in the I/O tree.

You could put a placeholder of some other device type there and Inhibit the connection to prevent the ControlLogix / CompactLogix from attempting to make a connection, then name that placeholder in your MSG instruction path in Studio 5000.

I very strongly recommend naming the device in some what that tells future troubleshooters that it is a placeholder only.