adding 1769- IF8 (1.5 slots wide) to full compactLogix rack

cjjeeper

my customer has a full 1769-compactlogix rack. they want to remove the two cards in slot 5 and slot 6 and replace them with two new cards. The new cards are an 1769-IF8 (1.5 slots wide) in slot 5 and a 1769-OF4 in slot 6 (one slot wide)

My question is, will this fit? I have photos of the rack and it doesn't LOOK like it will fit but I have not actually done much work on these compactlogix systems.

Again the question is can I take two, one slot width cards out at the end of the rack and replace them with a card that is 1.5 slots wide and a card that is 1 slot wide?

Thanks in advance.

The CompactLogix doesn't use a fixed chassis size like the SLC or ControlLogix does. You can add cards as long as they are in the proper distance from the power supply and the total number of modules is at or below the max allowed for your processor.

So for instance the IF8 and OF4 can be up to 8 modules away from the power supply. If you are removing slot 5 & 6 and putting the IF8 in one of those slots you should be fine.

The size of the module does not affect that rating. So as long as you have room to move the modules over a little bit to accommodate the larger module you can add them with no issue.

Hope this helps.

thanks

thats good info. thanks for the input. I was also able to find a photo of another rack with 3 cards to the right of the power supply of which one was the IF8.

I haven’t used it in years but Rockwell has a program called integrated architecture builder that will walk you through compactlogix, cards and power supplies and tell you if it’s a valid setup or not.

Keep in mind different cards consume different power and for the 1769 there are also two different power supplies.