Adding HMI to modicon 984

sboucher

Can anyone suggest the easiest way to add an HMI to a machine that has a Modicon 984 processor?? These machines have been in the field and are currently using faults lights and Veeder Root Counters. The customer is asking the cost to upgrade to HMI's. I am not really familiar with the Modicon platform and appreciate any help...

Modbus protocol

Hi Check the 984 for modbus ports , i think there are 2 if i remember correctly. Now look for an HMI that has a modbus protocol and download the manual to check it works with a 984 and also what PLC addresses it works with.

I seem to remember the DINT and REAL numbers were weird with this, but cant remember the specifics.

Good luck

From what I can gather since I am not near the machine to look for myself the machine is using modbus plus to communicate to a panelmate on a packer machine connected via our mb+. Would it be possible to "tap" into that and connect another panelmate??

Most panelmates do not have a modbus+ port. (optional add-on card)
You could also just use one of the DB9 ports on a panelmate configured as Modbus RTU (or modbus ascii) and connect to one of the modbus ports in the 984 (should be at least one)The cable you will have to make up. I'll find you a pinout if you require this method.
This is practically all I do (with PLCs), Modicon to panelmate, so I might be able to answer further questions.

Brian.

I am not locked in to a panelmate I was just thinking that since they are using one for the packout I could keep it similar. I am open to any othe HMI that will connect easily.

It depends on how much functionality you want

CiTect works very well with 984s. The CiTect development software is free, but you have to purchase a runtime. If you want to connect modbus plus instead of modbus you will have to get a card for the computer.

For an inexpensive touch screen look at http://www.ezautomation.net/products/eztouch.php

Last edited:
Myself I would steer away from MB+ mainly because Schnieder themselves are not really pushing it anymore. (The new M340 doesnt even have a MB+ option).

Depending on the 984 CPU it'll have at least one 232 port - I would just go with that. Bummer is that 984's dont support any kind of NOM so you cant expand the comm ports out. Thats alot of the reason clients are having us rip them out and putting Quantum CPUs onto the 800 series I/O via RIO.