Panelview Plus 7 adding new users at HMI

Bigjimbo33

I'm trying to use the Create New User button on the HMI so customer has the option to add new users and passwords at the HMI. They dont have FactoryTalk software to add users. It will allow me to add them to the user list but when I try to Login with the new user and password, it says the user name and password is not authenticated. It seems the Create New User button is not setup correctly. Any suggestions or links for setting this up would be helpful. Thanks!

A User added with the Create Add User/Group button does not belong to any User Group and so has no run-time security code.

The user cannot log in the system before the user is moved to an existing group that is configured with run-time security code(s).
I think that's what is causing the error.

After adding the new User, a Modify Group Membership button is used to add the User to an existing Security Group.

Once the newly created User is assigned to a Security Group, should be able to login successfully.

I added the Modify Group Membership, added it to the Administrators group and it still will not authenticate. It shows up in the User groups, so its there but for some reason it will not authenticate.

Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to add the Groups into the security runtime. Once I did that, then was able to select a group with security codes and it authenticated. Thanks for the help!

I've found the onboard user administration in the PV+ and the Siemens MP/Comfort platforms to be fine...until "they" want to add/edit users at runtime. With the PV+ (as I recall...) you can just upload the MER and decompile it to keep the users they've added, as long as that option is enabled and the runtime is new enough. You can't do that with the MP/Comfort (or at least I've never had access to an MMC with enough memory to save the project onto the HMI). I came up with a pretty bad kludge on the MPs where it tries to back up the user configuration to USB every time it's changed but it was very unreliable. At least with WinCC Flex/Comfort, you can uncheck the option to overwrite user security when you download an update to the HMI. You just have to remember to uncheck it. You can also use their backup/restore tool to make a backup of the user administration, but that's another separate step you have to do that isn't available if the HMI dies.

Frankly, IMHO, they all suck. The "best" I've seen was also a little klunky but that was at least partially due to an imperfect implementation. It used Euchner RFID key fob tags and a reader. You could add users/etc. at runtime and the data was stored in the PLC. It mostly worked.