Adding RIO-MODULES for 1747-ASB in Logix 5000

jackhenkel

What I am doing is converting a logix 5 program to logix 5000. What I am stuck on has to do with the RIO rack. I am using a 1747-ASB that is setup as a 3/4 Rack (6 I/O) groups. I have 5 modules that need to go in. 1746-OA16, 1746-IA16, 1746-OA16, 1746-IA16 and 1746-NIO4V. I will be using single slot addressing. What I am confused on is the slot and group number.

For Example: I want the 1746-OA16 to be my first module at group 0, slot 1. 1746-IA16 to be group 1 slot 2. 1746-OA16 group 2 slot 3 etc...

I have read through the manuals but am not quite understanding?? Any help is appreciated. I will continue to try.

Are you using the 1756-DHRIO or the 1756-RIO scanner ?

I realize the nomenclature is confusing, but when using "One-Slot" addressing, the Group number correlates to the physical location of the module, while the "Slot" number is not used.

You will have

1746-OA16 Group 0
1746-IA16 Group 1
1746-OA16 Group 2
1746-IA16 Group 3
1746-NIO4V Group 4

On the left hand side you could see something like this in Logix 5000 controller Organizer:

[0:0] RIO-MODULE
[0:1] RIO-MODULE

What is the difference between the two in single slot addressing if the first number is the group and the second is the slot but you are saying slot number doesn't exist with single slot addressing correct?

It gets very confusing, but with traditional A-B addressing the "slot" number was only ever 0 or 1, defining the module placement in the left-hand slot of a group, or the right. The "slot" was never intended to be the slot in the chassis at all.

Be clear about the difference between Slot (capital S), and slot (lower-case). In the A-B world the former is an address, the latter is a location in the chassis.

They did themselves no favors when they advertised their chassis as 4, 8, 12, or 16 slot !!

When 16-bit I/O modules came out, most people used them, so used single-slot addressing. It muddied the waters between "Group" addressing, and "Slot" addressing, because in this mode "Group" = physical slot, and "Slot" = 0 always

Confusion multiplied with "2-slot addressing" to accomodate 32-bit IO modules, where a single physical slot (notice no upper-case here), can have two "group" addresses.