Addressing GE PLC Registers at Bit level?

skyfox

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can a %R Register (or any other word type) data be addressed at bit level?

ex. Register = %R0001

Can I use it in ladder where I am looking at Bit 1 to see if it is set? (In AB World this would be similar to a Tag named "My_Int" and using My_Int.1 in logic)

Can this be done with 90-30 PLC's?

Thx

Use BTST.

---------+-BTST--+
| |
%R0001-| |-%M0001
| |
BitNum-| |
+-------+

Will set %M0001 if BitNum of %R0001 is set.

See also BSET, BCLR, and BPOS.

Last edited:

ex. Register = %R0001

Can I use it in ladder where I am looking at Bit 1 to see if it is set? (In AB World this would be similar to a Tag named "My_Int" and using My_Int.1 in logic)

Thx
Not in the 90-30, but you can in an RX3i.

Use BTST.

---------+-BTST--+
| |
%R0001-| |-%M0001
| |
BitNum-| |
+-------+

Will set %M0001 if BitNum of %R0001 is set.

See also BSET, BCLR, and BPOS.
The Bit_Test and Bit_Set and a few others can you do some of this but it is cumbersome and inefficient.
Use the Toolchest and Companion Windows together to see what tools you have, and use the 'F1' key for details.

Bits.jpg

ex. Register = %R0001

Thx

Don't know exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but it may be easier for you to simply use a bit group as a word reference, rather than using a %R register. You may also move a register reference to a bit group with a "Word" type data move function in order to test the register's individual bit status. Just be aware of byte boundaries when doing these things.