Advance Programming

mwatkins

Does anyone know of an book that goes beyond the basics of PLC's. Something that talks about advanced functions and techniques. Manly dealing with AB.
I have been in maintenance for a while and have cursed many programmers when troubleshooting a system.
Now I have moved "up" into the Engineering side of things where I now doing programming from scratch. I have written programs but would like to learns some of the techniques and standards and write programs more efficently.
Thanks

I have attended a couple of vendor specific advanced programming courses where they get begin to dabble in technique. If you can't
attend the courses maybe you can buy the course books.
It may be worth a shot contacting your favorite manufacturers
training facilities and inquire about the course books.

Learn to program like the programmers

The programmers are probably using techiniques you haven't been exposed to. I know that I have put out some code snippets on this site that many PLC programmer probably couldn't follow or had to stare at a long time to fiqure out. However, if you learn the techniques that the 'C' and assembly programmers use then you will probably be able to understand what the programmers are doing when they write ladder.

There is free development package for TI's MSP430. Download this and learn C and assembly language. There is NOTHING quite like single stepping through assembly language that lets one know how a cpu really works.