Advanced Control - Peter Ponders PID

My college text has matrices and Root Locus and Ziegler-Nichols. Only part of a chapter on pole placement ;-( So that would be a NOT-Recommendation for Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems 2nd Edition by Franklin, Powell & Emami-Naeini. I suppose you'd get some of the terminology and concepts out of it but old texts tend to be really expensive. Looks like it is up to the 7th Edition - Table of Contents - and is a lot longer but I'm not going to pop for the price...

If you're looking for a textbook option, consider browsing control theory texts adopted by another discipline (such as chemical). Seborg and Shinsky are two authors, as example.
The de facto standard for system identification used to be Lennart Ljung's textbook, but I think it is possible to find a more... accessible (readable, user friendly etc.) textbook now.