Advice wanted!! OT

BOWRIDER

Hi folks,

Last night we had a problem with a piece of equipment that has a couple of servos controlling in one case a linier actuator. This particular servo some how got out of wack and would not home, jog or respond in any way to commands from the oit screen (running wonderware). The plc is an ab slc 5/05. Off the top of my head I couldn’t tell you what type of servo drive etc. I am a mechanic with a pretty good handle on discrete plc programming and troubleshooting. I also do minor electrical work but am by no means an electrician. After mucking about for about an hour on the problem and digging through the plc program I managed to resolve the situation. It turned out the actuator had to be manually put in a particular position to so that when homed it would zero out values and reset itself. The only way I figured this out was the program was VERY WELL documented and commented. Had it not been, I would still be working on it. Now my question…. Tonight I intend to send a lengthy e mail to the powers that be asking for some in-depth training on the servos, drives, and how they interact with the plc and wonderware software and trouble-shooting techniques. Am I correct in assuming that servo drives, like plcs have their own manufacturer specific software and programming techniques? I just want to put in this request in the most intelligent way possible to hopefully illicit an positive response. I just feel this knowledge is vital for me and others in my field to understand these days. I have to go right now but I look forward to dropping by later and reading your suggestions.

Thanks.

BOWRIDER said:
Am I correct in assuming that servo drives, like plcs have their own manufacturer specific software and programming techniques?
Yes. There is much to learn. The PLC (or Wonderware, etc.) interface is easy to understand once you know how the servos work.
An intial reaction might be that you don't need to know how to program, just troubleshoot. I doubt if you could just get 'troubleshooting' training. A full programming course wouldn't hurt, as long as you are smart enough to leave the parameters alone. A failure is hardware - software doesn't change by itself.

Last edited:
BOWRIDER said:
Am I correct in assuming that servo drives, like plcs have their own manufacturer specific software and programming techniques?
Yes

I just feel this knowledge is vital for me and others in my field to understand these days. I have to go right now but I look forward to dropping by later and reading your suggestions.
Your feelings are right. All parts of the system must be understood and how they work together and interact. The days of waving the software, electrical or the mechanical union card and pointing a finger at the other guys is over. This is especially true in small shops where there is only one person per shift, the others are often gone or sick. BOWRIDER, if you are the only one for your shift then I see the big decision is finding someone to cover for you while you are gone

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I really am trying to get them to do some IN DEPTH in house training on our existing set ups. I will forward Rons site to the powers that be but the when where and what or even if won't be up to me. The problem I always found here is the approved solution is usually woefully inadequet.

thanks for the plug, milldrone, but I won't be getting into "servos" anytime soon ... my chief financial advisor says that I'm not allowed to invest in any more expensive hands-on "toys" for awhile ... that's the trouble with letting your wife know that you enjoy your "work" ... all of a sudden it becomes "play" instead ...

I think that our distinguished colleague Peter Nachtwey does "servo" type training though ...