Agnostic programming idea

the idea of the program being neutral to n.o. And n.c. Sensors sounds interesting.
But is this fully thought out ?

How does the neutral code distinguish between 'pallet present' and 'hole between pallets' ?
Surely it will make a difference, or .. ?

I would make a password protected hmi screen, and in that screen have a configuration dialog for the sensors, i.e. If n.o. Or n.c.

+1

What I would do at the start of operation is have a button the says Pallet Is Present and when that button is pressed set a BOOL to know if N.O. or N.C. is pallet present.

Also, if that button is NOT pressed to set one of the BOOL's the machine won't start.

Later in the operation you could check the state by knowing something IS being done to a pallet to verify that N.O. or N.C. was correct.

Some things on this site are in the category of 'interesting to think about and maybe a good exercise for learning programming' and yet they are also things that we do not want to do in an actual installation.

Automatic detection of the state of a sensor is in that category.

I'm in agreement with making it protected HMI-changeable.