AI module confusion

yfcarer

Hi, All. I met a problem when I do the test for a control cabinet. It is when I test the AI module(1769-IF8).

My site signal is 4~20mA, which comes from a LED indicator. The indicator is already powered through power supply cable. As indicated in the manual, I wire the 4~20mA input terminal to the "I in +" and "V/I In -" terminal of the AI module.

After that, I use the AO module(1769-OF8C) to generate a 4~20mA signal and connect it to the AI input terminal. Then monitor the raw value form RSlogix5000. The reading is steady with a +-0.25% error.

Then I use a signal generator to generate a 4~20mA signal and wire it to the 4~20mA signal terminal. Strange thing happens. The reading still has an error, but the reading is unsteady , it shakes from -0.4%~+0.4%.

Did I make some mistake when wiring? Or what the difference between a 4~20mA signal generated from AO module and a signal from the signal generator?

Has anybody met such condition?
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Thanks in advance!!!

The signal generator is powered from the AC line (mains).
The ground is NOT common between the 2 units. The unsteady reading is caused by noise on the grounds.

The only difference between an Current Analog module and a Voltage module is 1 resistor. Connect a 250 ohm resistor across the input, and now it's a Current Module. 4 ma across 250 ohms equals 1 volt. (some use 500 ohms and 0-10/2-10 volts).
Connect a DC supply to the input. 1 volt is 4 ma, 5 volts is 20 ma.
Another way is to connect a 1.5 volt battery across the input. 1.5 volts is 6ma. Monitor actual battery voltage while connected.

Last edited: