alias and base tags; difference?

I agree, ugly all the way through. Multiple aliases for the same memory location is the modern equivalent of the double-coil syndrome. Who thought that it could ever be an advantage?

Rockwell needs to add a new Option where you choose how many levels of Aliases you want to allow for the same tag. I would set mine to "1".

Agreed, although you need 2 levels for Rack Optimisation.

The system automatically creates I/O alias tags in the standard "location:slot:type" format (e.g. Remote:3:I), which is an alias for the rack-optimised tag Remote:I[3].

When you create your alias...

e.g.
Start_Button - alias for Remote:3:I.Data.5 - then the base tag will be Remote:I[3].Data.5

That is why the database view shows both "Alias For", and "Base Tag" columns.

Admittedly, you can create your Start_Button alias directly to the base tag, but you now have 2 different-looking tag formats for I/O points. I prefer, and recommend when teaching, to stick with the "location:slot:type" format throughout.