allen-bradely slc 5/04

SHYAMAL

Dear all,

Is there any scope of reloading the back up program from Flash EPROM (subject to the existence of backup in FEPROM) in case of washing out of the program for backup battery failure? If so, please help with the procedure for. We don't have the software nor the backup.

SHYAMAL

AB and Mitsubishi PLC Communication

Dear All,

I just want to ask about what Allen Bradley PLC Hardware will I used to communicate with other PLC like Mitsubishi or Omron PLC. My Main PLC is Allen Bradley but I have other 13 mitsubishi PLC as slave. I hope somebody help me.

Thanks A lot

Nics

To Shyamals question:

If the program in RAM is lost, the program in the EPROM should load automatically.
So you should be able to upload from the PLC in any case.
You need at least RSLogix 500 Starter to be able to upload from the SLC5/04.

To Shyamals question:

If the program in RAM is lost, the program in the EPROM should load automatically.
So you should be able to upload from the PLC in any case.
You need at least RSLogix 500 Starter to be able to upload from the SLC5/04.

Thanks for your kind help. That is, without RSLogix 500 starter it is not possible to restore the program. Am I right? As I have never worked in AB PLCs. So, I'm asking you some very fundamental questions. So far I can remember somewhere I read that if the program in RAM is deleted it could be restored from FPROM but I can't remember how it is done. Waiting for your reply, please.
- shyamal

If there is a problem with the memory on the PLC, then the EPROM should load automatically into RAM (it is possible that the original programmer has forgotten to enable this feature though, however unlikely).
The prerequisites are that there is an EPROM, and that the programmer has loaded the program into the EPROM.

You obviously have some kind of problem with the PLC. Try to describe EXACTLY how all the LEDs on the CPU and power supply are OFF, FLASHING or CONSTANTLY LIT.

SHYAMAL

Also try to go online and see the faults that have been generated, are you sure the ram has lost the program?

Do you have the software? a minor fault can be cleared buy turning the key switch on the front of the CPU from run to program then back to run... again just throwing things out there

Some of the older AB SLC's wouldn't reload on their own unless RAM was COMPLETELY wiped out. I remember one occasion, when on the phone with tech support, I was instructed to drain the on-board capacitor by shorting across it's ckt board lands (with the cpu card out of the system of course, and the battery unplugged). It was explained to me that this would COMPLETELY wipe the ram, and on power-up the cpu would THEN automatically load the program stored on the EEPROM. It worked for me exactly as the tech support guy described.

Stationmaster

Expressing my deep gratitude to you all who are shairing my pain by putting your valuable suggestions for solving the problem, I am giving below the findings of my investigation:

1. Present status of the status indicators of the processor:
RUN: off
FLT: off
BATT: Flashing (red)
FORCE: Flashing (yellow)
DH+: Flashing (green)
RS232: Flashing (green)

At first, when the problem occured, FLT indicator was glowing steadily. After switching the key switch to 'PROG' and again at 'RUN', the FLT indicator went away.

2. The slot for the optional EEPROM was found blank. But an EEPROM was found in our store. The EEPROM was given by the commissioning engineer after the commissioning of plc was over. He also suggested to keep it very carefully. So, it is seemed that the module may contain the program.

3. Please note that we don't have the software, nor the backup copy (soft copy). So, we have no scope to see the status of the cpu in online at present.

Can I put the memory module (what we have with us) into the slot and power up again? In that case the program may be loaded into the RAM from the EEPROM, if the EEPROM contains, as many suggested. - Waiting for suggestion.

SHYAMAL