Allen Bradley BASIC Modules

Some 1771-DB application run program located in RAM and program (or sub) located in EEPROM.
Check if the EEprom is installed in the socket.
If yes, you'll have also to back up the EPROM located program(s).

Ah right, ok. i will check that. we are running 1746-BAS-5/02.

Away from the backup topic, if we are using these to run C code which is the drivers for communicating to the Eurotherm units, is there any alternative? due to the fact that backing up is potentially dangerous (from a factory point of view) is there any alternatives to these units? Or anything that can do the same thing. We are looking into replacing the entire system and putting in a new installation that uses PID control within the PLC.

Any ideas, thoughts or musings on the topic would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

bmw_apprentice said:
Ah right, ok. i will check that. we are running 1746-BAS-5/02.

Away from the backup topic, if we are using these to run C code which is the drivers for communicating to the Eurotherm units, is there any alternative? due to the fact that backing up is potentially dangerous (from a factory point of view) is there any alternatives to these units? Or anything that can do the same thing. We are looking into replacing the entire system and putting in a new installation that uses PID control within the PLC.

Any ideas, thoughts or musings on the topic would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Firstly, I'm not sure how a compiled executable can be incorporated into the BASIC module, but perhaps it can.

What Eurotherm modules are you trying to communicate with? What Protocol? They used to use a protocol called EIBISYNC, but newer devices have dropped that in favor of MODBUS. The BISYNC would need a custom driver, but it's not all that hard, and I think I have some old OS-9 C Source code around (oddly, for the 1771-DMC CoProcessor) that I wrote years and years ago you could have a look at.

For alternatives, I'd say head on over to ProSoft and take a look at their array of both protocol-dedicated, as well as C, ASM, BASIC, and other fully programmable communications interface modules for all AB (And many other) Platforms.