Allen Bradley CCW - Tagging Issue with Micrologix and External Cards

GearGuy2001

Hey Everyone,

We have a Micrologix 1400 (1766-L32BXB) with a Panelview 800 7" Screen, the Micrologix also has a 1762-IQ16 Input Card and a 1762-OB16 Output card attached to it.

On the screen, we have a page for Inputs and Outputs each with Multi-State Indicators for On / Off / Error. However, when online the multistate indicators that read I/O from an external card do not function (they stay Red or 0), the I/O from the chassis functions Red (0) / Green (1) as expected. I verified this issue existing with another machine that has a matching set up so it doesn't seem to be hardware related.

The tags for the chassis have an address of "I:0/0" and for the card, I use "I:1/0" for the first spot on the card, Controller in both cases on the Tag screen is the named "PLC-1". Also while testing these outputs are on for an extended period of time so its not like a screen refresh issue.

I saw a reference to this issue in 2016 but no follow-ups so I wasn't sure if this is known or what I am missing.

Post with issue:http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=104731

Thanks!

The syntax details for directly reading I/O addresses can be tricky when dealing with SLC and various families of Micrologix. I avoid those issues altogether by mapping the I/O to internal addresses for use with the HMI. Some folks will copy them in groups or one word at a time. I prefer to do it bit by bit. It takes more space to do this but allows me the flexibility to invert a state or swap individual discrete points if needed.

Thanks for the reply OkiePC, my boss did some googling as well and we came across this posting - http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=119263

I tested what Geospark said in Post #3 and set my I:1/1 to a tag value of I:8/1 and that actually worked! If that hadn't worked then I probably would have went with a solution as you described above and mapped it in the program.

Thanks again and hopefully this post helps someone else down the road!