allen bradley interface question

miker

I've just found this site, and it looks just like what I need! I'm fairly new to the PLC world, I'm a maintenance tech in an industrial setting, and really don't have "formal" plc training. Yep, OTJ from people in the plant, and anything I can pick up from our hired guns, (controls eng's we use are cool guys who would show me anything to do with plc's, except I try not to abuse their time!) Any way, there is an old toshiba laptop with 6200 and RS5 software on it, but no pcmk card available. I don't think the boss is likely to shell out the cash right now, ( we have a "crash cart" w/ a PC on it, various pc's at some locations, sort of a mish mash throughout the plant) I saw something concerning what appeared to be a generic card somewhere on the site recently. Is there a cheap way to interface using a generic card? We are using PLC 5/40's in the plant that I would be most interested going on line with, more so than the others we have, (PLC 2/30, SLC 500, etc). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THX

Use the serial port on the PLC5/40. Null modem cable, DF1 driver in RSlinx and away you go.

how you ask?:

Last edited:
Thanks!

You can bet I'll be trying this out Monday...If I'm not putting out fires all day, (Mondays suck). Thanks for the help! Awesome reply time too!

miker