Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1400 Motion Control / Servo Drive Control

thesandbox

Hello everyone,

So on Monday morning I'm expecting to have a box of random parts dumped in front of me. I'll create another thread with more specifics if needed later on as I don't have very much information at this time either.

Looking for more information on a few things.

I need to control a few (5) servo motors from a MicroLogix 1400 (Not my first choice, theirs). I'm not sure of the processor specifics yet. Personally I would be using something from the CompactLogix Family.

With a MicroLogix 1400, what is the maximum number of servos that can be used?

I see they have available, a baseline 6 High Speed Counters for inputs, and 3 High Speed Outputs, with 3 Sub High Speed Outputs.

The servo motors appear to be stand alone integrated units. You run power to them, then run the signal wires for your encoder to the HSC, and the other signal wires to initiate motion to the High Speed Outputs (no information on the servo or type of signal it uses yet)

I'm not quite sure where the Sub High Speed Outputs come into play? Are they usable for servo controls as well?

What is the best practice to implement this sort of system? Is using the HSC to track movement and a PTO to initiate movement acceptable? (This appears to be limited to controlling only 3, as there are only 3 HSOs, and this is less than the 5 required)

Are there any pieces of sample code/instruction sets worth looking at? Any references to some documents? I've been poking around the old AB documentation again.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Turns out they are Teknic Inc. integrated motors with predefined motion profiles that can utilize a PTO instruction to execute.