Allen Bradley panel view 550

oggy02

Hi
I have a panel view 550 with a certain programme in it. It has no memory card installed. Is there any way of deleting the programme that is in it, without a laptop and software?
I would like the memory clear, so that it can be sent to another site and be ready for a new programme.
I would be grateful for any information people can give me.
Thanks.

Thanks for replying Mickey.
At the moment it doesn't look like it can be done without the software and PC.
Any more suggestions welcome, or can anyone point me towards a download for the software.

oggy02 said:
Thanks for replying Mickey.
At the moment it doesn't look like it can be done without the software and PC.
Any more suggestions welcome, or can anyone point me towards a download for the software.

Oggy02,

Hold up! You're getting good help here.

Did you read the threads that Mickey kindly linked you to?

In the first one...

Ken Roach specifically and correctly recalled there being a method to erase the application in memory using "certain key sequences" at boot up. I have successfully used it several times on several models of PanelView Standard terminals.

Operaghost then did a search on the Knowledgebase and sure enough found an article that described the methods Ken was referring to. That is, to erase the application in memory without a computer and software.

Another poster in the other linked thread also described the method to do this specifically on a PV550. Although the keys mentioned were not quite correct.

Did none of that make you go "aha!"?

Unfortunately the link in that older first thread (post #11) is no longer working as the Knowledgebase has gone through a few changes since then.

So here it is in its current form...

13271 - Clearing the application from a Standard PanelView Terminal
Access Level: TechConnect

And now I must de-TechConnect it for Mickey and his kind (they're not stupid or anything, just cheapskates :p)...

That one is a general guide for all PanelView Standard terminals. One might have a keypad terminal or one might have a touch terminal...

Keypad terminals...

During the BOOT sequence you normally see the terminal performing its POST sequence. You will see the test numbers increment. Once it gets to or passed test number 32, which is the "Stuck Key" test, the keypad is now available. You can then attempt to press the lower-left most key and the upper-right most gray key simultaneously. I say attempt, because the timing can be tricky. You may have to try a few times or you could get lucky first time.

This sequence will erase the application from memory and force the terminal into its Configuration Mode.

Touch terminals...

If you press and hold the lower-left touch cell and the upper-right touch cell simultaneously, when "32" is reached, which for touch terminals is the stuck touch-cell test, then you will see a white square appear in the lower-right corner of the screen. The white square is just a confirmation that the press sequence was successful.

Just after that, the terminal will similarly erase the application from memory and force the terminal into its Configuration Mode.

The terminal's memory is now wiped clean ready for a fresh application.

A little closer to home...

12556 - 60 ERROR! FEHLER! ERREUR! ERRORE!
Access Level: TechConnect

This one is specific to the PanelView 550. Ignore the error 60 and note the sequence to erase the application from memory...

When the PanelView 550 terminal gets to test 32, press the "F6" and "9" keys simultaneously. This will erase the application file from the PanelView 550's memory.

To verify the application has been deleted, select "Terminal Info" from the Configuration Mode menu and verify the "bytes used" is "0".

Neither a computer nor piece of software in sight!

Regards,
George

Hi George
I did have a look at the posts that Mickey was good enough to put on. And I have looked at numerous suggested key options. I must admit though, I had not seen the one about F6 and "9". I just tried that and hey presto the memory is now clear. Thank you very much for your time George and Micky, I am extremely grateful.
Until next time
Regards
Oggy02