Allen Bradley PLC2 questions

emunoz

Hi,

Our company has an ABAR Vacuum Furnace from the 1980's, it uses an Allen Bradley 1772 PLC 2/20 Plc, serial 4455.

We currently input the logic program using a 1770 TA Series Industrial Terminal, copying from a 50 page printout (not very efficient). This is done if for some reason we lose the program (extended blackout, weak battery, etc.)

We know this is an old and obsolete PLC, right now we need assistance in the following areas:

1- Were can we find a manual for the use of the 1770 Industrial Terminal ? I have searched the Rockwell website, but have no found it. It is publication 1770-805.

2 - What software - cable alternatives are there to upload the logic Program ? Through google we found out of a company named SoftPLC, we would like to know if there are other additional companies.

Thanks for your help !

Wow, a blast from the past for sure. AB used to sell some of the old PLC programming software that would run on earlier computers, even Windows, but I am not sure about now. The package they sold was the old 6200 series software or a version of one written by ICOM which was acquired by AB some years back. At any rate, the AB rep in your area will know or can find out if this is still available. There is a smart cable that goes with it and the whole thing could cost you a lot of money but it sure beats using the Industrial Terminal. That is not good under any conditions for the size program you are working with. I feel you pain using that old box of rocks.
SoftPLC will probably not be able to help you much with your problem, they are into making a software PLC exist on a standard Windows based computer by adding some I/O blocks and communicating to them via some link like RS-232.
Taylor used to write software for AB processors back in the day so you may try looking them up in Google. I do not remember the full company name but you will have to sort through a lot of junk to find them, if they are listed at all. Their product used to be called TOPDOC, but that was in the 80s as well. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

Xcel Controls Inc. Made a DOS based Programming software for PLC2, it was called UpDoc. It used a smart cable to connect to the PLC.

Rob A said:
Xcel Controls Inc. Made a DOS based Programming software for PLC2, it was called UpDoc.

What's up, Doc?

BugsBunny.jpg

Thanks for your responses.

Retlaw53:
I have already sent a message to your e-mail address.

Rob a:
We have a welding machine that uses a Modicon 984 processor, it cane with the UpDoc program, verson 4.32 (around 1988), for Modicon Processors. (It is easy to use). I looked up Xcel Controls, but it seems thst they are no longer offering this software.

http://www.xcel.com/

Randylud:

We have a local representative for Rockwell, we will check with them.

We will check the Taylor lead.

We received a quote from SoftPlc, but it is expensive, we were looking for other alternatives. They are the creators of TOPDOC.

http://www.softplc.com/oldtopdoc.php

Thanks to all !

1770-TA is the monitor portion of the terminal only. Depending on which keyboard you plug in to it, it becomes a 1770-T1, -T2, -T3, or -T4. Most likely you are using a -T3. The Taylor package referred to came from Taylor Industrial Software, a Canadian company in Edmonton, Alberta. The package was essentially a -T3 emulator. I believe the company has been absorbed and traded and may no longer exist.

I would suggest looking for a 1770-SA or -SB tape deck to save your program with. It interfaces through the -T3.

I wonder if anyone has created a -SA or -SB emulator. It shouldn't be too difficult...