Allen Bradley VFD PF753 test connection using 230V

Zakonenko

Hello all,

Who have links for documentation,- how to connect Allen Bradley 3 phases VFD PF753 in test purposes using only 230V.
Approximate method: connect 230 phase to L1 and Neutral to L3 or L2. I forgot how to exactly it needs to be wired.

My Residual-current device always trigger :eek: what I am doing wrong?

Please reference the below technotes for further information...

ID: QA16945 | Access Levels: Everyone
PowerFlex AC Drives: Single Phase input/ single phase output/single phase motor

For single phase supply input you must use L1 & L2 for the PowerFlex 700 series drives. This ensures the cooling fan is powered (fan not powered if connecting to L3). Also note the derating factor of 50% for these drives.

ID: QA5136 | Access Levels: Everyone
Residual Current Devices (RCD) compatible with Rockwell Automation PWM AC Drives

As mentioned, a B type RCD incorporates a slightly longer delay before tripping which provides some tolerance when used in a drive application. If using an A type RCD, you may experience nuisance tripping.

Note: When using a single phase input, all PowerFlex drives will still produce a 3 phase output. There are no PowerFlex single phase output models available.

Regards,
George

Since you ask, I guess it is a VFD intended to be supplied by 3-phase 230V or 400V. It is not a VFD with single-phase 230V supply.
Connecting only 1 phase 230V can work since the 1st stage is merely a rectifier.
The DC voltage will be much lower but may still be enough to do some testing.

VFDs are notorious for tripping RCDs. It doesnt have to do with 1-phase vs. 3-phase.
One cause is the large capacitor in the DC stage charging up will mean that the incoming and outgoing currents do not balance out, thereby causing a difference that trips the RCD. If the RCD trips when switching on power to the VFD, then that is the cause.
Another possibility is earth leaking currents due to high frequency capacitive coupling. If the RCD trips when you run the VFD, then that is the cause.

In most industrial applications, you dont have RCDs due to nuissance tripping.

There are solutions to the problem, that usually involve coordinating the EMI filters on the input side of the VFDs.
The simple solution is to not have an RCD in the supply to the VFD, or change a highly-sensitive RCD to a non-highly-sensitive type.