Modicon M340 and Allen Bradley VFD....HELP PLEASE

Naval2069

Hello everyone,
I have a recent project that involves a Modicon M340 and a Allen Bradley Powerflex 753 VFD. I have only used a Modicon processor one other time and was controlling an Altivar 71 so I am completely lost right now.

In our standard application, we use an CompactLogix to control the speed of the VFD via the Ethernet. I now have to do the same thing but with a Modicon PLC. I do have a BXM NOC 0401 Ethernet Communication Module and was told this module converts Modbus TCP/IP to Ethernet.

My problem is I have absolutely no clue where to start or how to configure the module to complete this task. Like I said I am not very proficient with Unity Pro L and its structure. Please, any help would be appreciated!

Personally I would not convert Modbus to Ethernet at the PLC.
I would use a 20-COMM-M Modbus/TCP communications adapter at the drive.

I think this will be easier since the 20-COMM_M adapter manual will spell out which Modbus addresses do what and you will have an easier time creating the interface

Doing it the way originally posted, you have to map Modbus adresses from the PLC to the BXM 0401 and then from the BMX 0401 Ethernet to the drives IO image. More work and tougher then it needs to be.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/20comm-um014_-en-p.pdf

Hello everyone,
... was told this module converts Modbus TCP/IP to Ethernet.

I would not refer to this module in this way. It supports both ModbusTCP and EtherNet/IP, common application-layer network protocols used for industrial communications. Both utilize Ethernet as the data link layer. The point here is flexibility: if you have a drive that uses ModbusTCP, you can likely support it with this module. If it supports EtherNet/IP, you can likely support it. You can do both at the same time, too.

You have the convenience, then, of handling either type of communications so choose a compatible comms card for the drive and go from there. Configuration for each will likely be very different from a communications point of view, but from a code/logic view, it might be almost the same, if not identical.