Schneider Modicon M340 to Totalflow communication

Cthomas

Hello,
I'm having a hard time understanding how to get a Modicon M340 to pull a Modbus address from an ABB Totalflow via Ethernet. I set up a port in the totalflow (port 505) to push the value I need. And nothing that I try in the Modicon will perform as I need it to. My question is, what do I need to setup or install to make this communication happen? I have to go through Ethernet because my PLC is too far away from the totalflow to communicate via serial. Some things seem to tell me that I need a separate Ethernet module even though there is one on the processor, is this where I'm confused?

Modbus TCP uses port number 502.

The M340 can use what the AB people would call 'Explicit' communications out of the CPU. That's where you have to put communications instructions in the program.

You have to add a NOE or NOC module to do Modbus 'scanning' - what the AB people would call 'Implicit' communications. You also have to add a NOC module to talk Ethernet/IP protocol to an AB compatible device. I don't know any reason to buy the NOE since the NOC does both.

In your case I suspect what you want is Explicit comms from the CPU. When you set up the comms you must be careful to set the Read_GEST[] timeout value to a nonzero value before you hit the comms. Otherwise a failed read will hang forever and you'll have to power-cycle the processor.

I know nothing about the modicon but am well versed with the totalflow. Questions you need to answer first about the totalflow before anyone can help:

Did you setup a comm application for modbus in the totalflow? what settings did you use. The Totalfow can do standard modicon modbus and also enron modbus. I doubt that the modicon will support enron modbus which is a single 32 bit register per value instead of 2 16bit int combined into a float.

Next, you need to build the modbus map in the totalflow. This is where you take the app.array.register and assign it to a modbus address.

typically the totalflow starts at register 47001. With enron modbus this lines up perfectly. If you are using standard modbus you will need to take into account that it is 2 registers per value. when you look at the map the totalflow will no give you the right values. I typically create my own in excel. so the first app.array.register in your list uses 47001 and the 2nd uses 47003.

Please post some pics of your comm setup and the modbus map in the totalflow and I can better assist.