AllenBradley RIO analog and digital combination

ipsco

Hello all

I am using a controllogix 5000 controller with a DHRIO scanner. I am then connected to a 1747 ASB (SLC family) rio adapter. I am able to communicate with digital modules in this rack. I can also talk with an analog module in this rack. I am having difficulty when attempting to have both analog and digital modules in the rack at the same time. There is a dip switch setting on the 1747ASB that allows use to select either discreet (for digtal module) or block transfer (for anaolg module). I would like to place the switch in the middle and select both but unfortunately this is not a magical switch!! Does anyone know if it is possible to do what I am trying to do in the same rack?

if you'll COMPLETELY describe ALL of your system's configuration - AND the 24 DIP switch settings on the ASB module, then I should be able to duplicate your setup in the lab - and post the solution for you ... it might be a day or two before I get time to do that ...

without detailed information, all we can do is offer general advice ... have you looked into setting up block transfers for the analog modules? ... this is usually done with MSG (Message) instructions in the ControlLogix platform ...

basic idea: put the appropriate DIP switch in the "Block Transfer" mode ... then try to proceed from there ... the digital modules USUALLY take care of themselves - UNLESS - some digital modules require more than one 16-bit word to communicate with the processor ...

another tip: when you set up your MSG rungs, you're PROBABLY going to need to use INT locations and not the default DINT locations that usually pop up ...

not an expert on this but I set one of my RIO networks up to

communicate with a flex i/o bank (digital) and 2 abb s4 robots, digital also, but I also had a RIO panelview to throw into the equation. I used block transfer to commuicate with that and it worked as well as communicating with the digital. i would have to go and look on the floor to see my dip switch settings...

...sorry did not see the combination of controllogix and slc...
i would just be guessing

Last edited:
Do you think it would be possible to block transfer all off the rio data in one message? i.e. BTR the first 8 words from the analog card and the following one word from the digital card? I've tried this but the digital inputs are not changing on the controller end.

The digital I/O is all going to be in the regular I/O connection, no matter what your DIP switch settings are. The DIP Switch setting for "Discrete/Block Transfer" mode only describe how modules (mostly analog modules) that take more than 1 Word of data will transfer. Analog modules require at least one MSG per module (some will need an additional MSG for configuration).

Post at least your I/O configuration in the 1746 chassis, and your DIP switch settings on the 1747-ASB if possible.

Last edited: