Annunciator design trends

scameron81

Quick background: we have a group of power plants which have various control vintages from purely pneumatic controllers, to the tdc 2000, and our newest system the Foxboro Fox-3.

We're starting to do technology upgrades to plants and replace the control system with RS-5000 and Factory talk. On the first two that we have done we have completely eliminated the traditional annunciators and moved everything onto alarm screens. The operations folks have been less than thrilled with this change to same the least. Some ops people have said they will have to rip the Annunciator out of their cold dead hands. They say that it's confusing, cumbersome and doesn't give them a quick overall status of the plant when things are going on.

My question is are annunciators becoming a thing of the past on new plants or are they still used in conjunction with alarm screens? I don't have a lot of experience in various industries so I am trying to get a feel on what the current design trend is and what other people are doing.

Thanks!

My SCADA system has a screen configured as an annunciator. Originally it looked nearly identical, they I showed them what else it could be and they jumped right on board.