HMI based Annunciator Panel

R_Stone

I need to do a screen for one of my processes that pretty much duplicates the action of a common annunciator panel. Here is what I have to work with:

Siemens MP270B HMI
S7 313C Processor
1 N.O. momentary contact PB switch in panel
All the necessary I/O and input signals
Federal alarm horn Q124.6
Red Strobe (internal blink) Q124.7

What I see is maybe a window for each major piece of equipment, which are then subdivided with little windows for status like OK or Not OK. Running or not running. alarm etc.

I am not much of an artist, so I am looking for a little input here. What do you think?

Robert

R_Stone said:
...I am not much of an artist, so I am looking for a little input here...

Robert, you have proven that you have more than whats important to be a good HMI designer.

To many want there system to be a piece of art and they end-up being a piece of $h1t!

I read the word "duplicate". Ain't it your answer?

As they say, a good question has the answer inbeded.

I design all HMI and screens the "Apple" Way.

FIRST and foremost, target the Users. So talk with them... they'll give you more infos than you want.

Then when they realise that they cannot have everything on it, they wont complain when you transfer the HMI to them.

After your "design" or duplicate is finish, code it so it works.

My first project on RS View ME I did something like this - I had equipment level screens, but the default screen was a basic annunciator. Looked just like a basic lamp-panel annunciator.

Which was actually located in the cabinet with the equipment. It was pretty cool, the operators saw the same thing in both places, one HMI, one hardware.

My HMI design approach with touchscreens is "Big Buttons First", then details second. Making it pretty is secondary to making it usable.

tomalbright said:
My first project on RS View ME I did something like this - I had equipment level screens, but the default screen was a basic annunciator. Looked just like a basic lamp-panel annunciator.

Which was actually located in the cabinet with the equipment. It was pretty cool, the operators saw the same thing in both places, one HMI, one hardware.

My HMI design approach with touchscreens is "Big Buttons First", then details second. Making it pretty is secondary to making it usable.

You guys both bring up some very good points. I inheirted this system and it is my first sortie into the land of S7. Basically the program was a series of boolean stop/starts. No interlocks, no safety, no nothing.

I see 3 levels of alarms. First level would blink on the HMI. After a period of inattention then add the strobe light. Further inattention gets the alarm buzzer, Then depending upon the situation, a shutdown or standby would be initiated. What I need to do is put all the alarms on one screen and make it visible from across the floor. I plan to use the hard switch as a horn silence button. What am I missing?

Robert

I would also like to use this as a first out system as well. I guess I would need to log alarm events in some way.