PC based HMI software

srsicard3

Looking for advice/experience with PC based HMI software?
We are starting to put a PC in our control systems. I would like to use the monitor as the HMI instead of having a separate HMI screen. We run mainly AB PLCs and I find the factorytalk software outdated.
What do you guys suggest/like?
We do simple machines up to complex, so i am not opposed to using different software that would match the needed power.

I have been using Net Studio for years
I starts when it was VB6 nd just followed through over the years
you wil need to communication drivers and symbols if needed but ounce you have the license they are all free for as many as you want
they all can be run on any windows pc and add whatever apps you want

For the simple stuff, AdvancedHMI could be a solution. After seeing people talking about it on here for years I finally gave it a try a week or two ago and it's pretty easy/simple. Not necessarily the most cutting edge graphics, but it's completely free, and you can generate an .exe file and deploy it to as many PCs as you want without any other software. Note that they do require you to turn over the source code to any clients to comply with GPL licensing. Not sure what that entails if you work for the end user.

For more advanced stuff, I personally find VTScada to be fantastic. Very simple to get going on, and I find it a thousand times easier to understand than FTView. It's not free, and I also find the graphics are a little dated, but with a little bit of effort you can make a nice clean display that looks pretty modern. It also has a huge range of drivers for various protocols, but I've had great success pairing it with AB PLCs, both in the MicroLogix and Control/CompactLogix lines.

ingear-net is the communication driver you use to read / write data between the plc and net studio app you create
you need to keep in mind tht with any new software their is a learning curve but after you catch on it works good
the thing i like is there is no runtime license for it

Take a look at TwinCAT HMI. It is very new and also platform independent. Modern, cutting edge controls and graphics, HTML based. Doesn't require any special hardware or software. All you need is a browswer (Chrome or MS Edge) . You can make as simple or complex as you want. Download and develop for free with recurring 7-day trial licenses. No need to buy license until you're ready to deploy.

When considering and stacking everything up, overall it is one of the best, if not the best HMI development softwares I've used. Very little, if any limitations. The only thing that really limits you is possibly your technical know-how, and your creativity. Dragging and configuring controls on a screen is only scratching the surface on what's possible with TwinCAT HMI. It's really good stuff. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Take a look at TwinCAT HMI. It is very new and also platform independent. Modern, cutting edge controls and graphics, HTML based. Doesn't require any special hardware or software. All you need is a browswer (Chrome or MS Edge) . You can make as simple or complex as you want. Download and develop for free with recurring 7-day trial licenses. No need to buy license until you're ready to deploy.

When considering and stacking everything up, overall it is one of the best, if not the best HMI development softwares I've used. Very little, if any limitations. The only thing that really limits you is possibly your technical know-how, and your creativity. Dragging and configuring controls on a screen is only scratching the surface on what's possible with TwinCAT HMI. It's really good stuff. Highly recommended.

What is approximately the runtime license fee for Twincat HMI?

I like Aveva edge, (formerly Indusoft)
Price range is good, lots of functionality and good support videos.

Also, if you are just getting into creating hmi screens, it's a good idea to google

"ISA HMI standards 101" it will start you on a good path to HMI graphic design.....

Have a look at Progea (Movicon), there are various options found this extremely easy to use, has many drivers (also supports OPC), SQL etc. pricing is pretty reasonable.

I like Aveva edge, (formerly Indusoft)
Price range is good, lots of functionality and good support videos.

We have the Eaton branded version they call Visual Designer. I was very disappointed when Aveva bought Indusoft and closed the public forum. I do get support from Eaton but, much like here for general stuff, you could find some gems in that old Indusoft forum.

Last edited:

An extension of a Microsoft product that only runs on Win 7 or 10 natively?

To answer the OP, +1 Ignition. Truly cross-platform (Windows, Mac Linux, with Perspective mobile), Inductive University to learn, great forum, 2 hr grace period fully-featured trial (reset as often as you need), perks for Integrators. Run it on a Pi, or a headless Linux server. Call me biased, but IMO it's the best that's out there.