Windows Based HMI

Sham

Hi all,

Has anyone of you used a windows based HMI? Essentially a panel computer. What I want to do is read data from a power meter, and display it for the operator. I plan installing the software of that power meter on that panel computer, and getting the job done. I am planning to used Lavato`s DGM800 power metre, with Xpress as the software.

The other option is to use a PLC (it will receive data from power metre) and throw the data to HMI for display.

My budget is 3000AUD, any suggestions please?

Have a talk to Advantech - have not used them but I believe they have them.

I have seen B&R panel PC's running Windows 10 and ClearSCADA.

That said, my advice would always be to use a separate industrial PC and touchscreen. Touchscreens have a hard life, and when one eventually gets pressed a little bit too hard with a screwdriver, you're much better off being able to just plug in a new display, instead of having to migrate all of your PC including software and license activations.

For 3000AUD (~2000€) you can get a lower end panel IPC from one of the major vendors.
I also think that ASF's idea of splitting the IPC and Touch panel is good.
If the Lavato software is very frugal in its system requirements, then something like the Siemens IPC127 which costs less than 1000 € with a Windows license, 2GB RAM and Atom CPU.
If you need something slightly more powerful there is Siemens IPC227E which will be around the 2000 € mark.
The IPCs with integral touchscreen are significantly more expensive.

What about running a Beckhoff PLC which will also run the Power meter software and give you Codesys Visualization. with a Monitor plugged in.

I am curious why you recommend node red, when the OP wants to run a specific windows application, Lavato Xpress.

I read that the goal was to read a power meter and display data to an operator. Most if not all power meters I came across have Modbus interface (and others, but Modbus is the default).

Node red would be able to pull the modbus data from the meter or meters and display it with a fancy interface (https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-dashboard).

I guess the Lovato software would do more, perhaps an historian which would be harder-ish to create in nodered, but much worse to maintain.

Not exactly what OP was asking, but it's a solution all the same.

What about running a Beckhoff PLC which will also run the Power meter software and give you Codesys Visualization. with a Monitor plugged in.

^^^^THIS! ^^^^

A myriad of ways to do the Windows HMI then:

1. Use TwinCAT visualization for simple HMI screens (might have a small license fee with this option)
2. Write a simple .NET windows app (Beckhoff has API with examples on how to do this) (free solution)
3. Use AdvancedHMI (free solution)
4. Use new TwinCAT HMI, html based. (License fee)

Plug in your monitor to the PLC and whoila!

We have used options 2, 3, and recently 4 (small application) on various machines over the past several years. All options work great. Each with its own pros/cons, caveats though.

Last edited: