Any plans for AB to manufacturer cost effective HMI?

I was going to write something, and started, but I erased it.

Simply: If you don't like AB pricing, don't buy it. But don't take every opportunity to let the forum hear about it.

CroCop said:
I was going to write something, and started, but I erased it.

Simply: If you don't like AB pricing, don't buy it. But don't take every opportunity to let the forum hear about it.

I would like to say same:

"If you do not have money to buy AB, don't buy it."

We should stop talking about AB and their high prices because, _________ .

A) it just goes without saying
B) we don’t want the secret to get out
C) I would rather put money in AB’s pocket than my own
D) they have to charge high prices in order to give free tech support

Ask for a little less starch in your shirts, don’t take everything so seriously, it’s not like we are talking about your first born. Or are we? :oops:

Tark said:
We should stop talking about AB and their high prices because, _________ .

A) it just goes without saying
B) we don’t want the secret to get out
C) I would rather put money in AB’s pocket than my own
D) they have to charge high prices in order to give free tech support

Ask for a little less starch in your shirts, don’t take everything so seriously, it’s not like we are talking about your first born. Or are we? :oops:

How about E?
E) Rockwell products are priced competitively enough to sell?

CroCop said:
How about E?
E) Rockwell products are priced competitively enough to sell?

This is a broad question, I would say depends on customer, some customer just want a dirt cheap system, as long as it can work (stand alone & basic control).

Some will stated AB up front, & some system required higher spec (redundancy on CPU, network....etc...), no choice but to go for AB

I'm not sure other countries, but in Malaysia comparing apple to apple (siemens), AB CPU is expensive, IO modules are cheap. It's vice versa to Siemens. ;)

ckchew666 said:
This is a broad question, I would say depends on customer, some customer just want a dirt cheap system, as long as it can work (stand alone & basic control).

Some will stated AB up front, & some system required higher spec (redundancy on CPU, network....etc...), no choice but to go for AB

I'm not sure other countries, but in Malaysia comparing apple to apple (siemens), AB CPU is expensive, IO modules are cheap. It's vice versa to Siemens. ;)

This is true. Some places want the cheapest pile of garbage that will meet the minimum working needs.

I don't/and won't work for an outfit like that. Been there, done that, and not interested in it no more.

All I can say is... I've used, programmed, damned near every PLC-programming philosophy out there... including Ladder, STL, Grafcet (Stage), Forth, "C", and Assembly.

AND... I initially learned PLCs on AB... waaaay back when...

AND... All I can say, with regard to AB, is that it is clearly, CLEARLY, among the worst! Those AB-Engineers are nuts!

That includes AB's latest, ControlLogix-5000!

While I must admit that ControlLogix-5000 is one hell of a lot better than the earlier C_R_A_P... AB, including ControlLogix-5000, is still, in general, big-time C_R_A_P!!!!

If you ain't been around the block a time or two... should you be barking?

Terry Woods said:
All I can say is... I've used, programmed, damned near every PLC-programming philosophy out there... including Ladder, STL, Grafcet (Stage), Forth, "C", and Assembly.

AND... I initially learned PLCs on AB... waaaay back when...

AND... All I can say, with regard to AB, is that it is clearly, CLEARLY, among the worst! Those AB-Engineers are nuts!

That includes AB's latest, ControlLogix-5000!

While I must admit that ControlLogix-5000 is one hell of a lot better than the earlier C_R_A_P... AB, including ControlLogix-5000, is still, in general, big-time C_R_A_P!!!!

If you ain't been around the block a time or two... should you be barking?

That's the first time I've ever heard someon call AB a pile of C_R_A_P.

Would you care to elaborate as to what is so bad about CLX in general?

Terry, I disagree....a thousand wires and 500 relays are ****...any and I mean any PLC that gives you the output when you want it (not before and not after) and one that I don’t have to work on, is NOT a piece of ****...the name does not matter.

And for the most part how often does the PLC break? in the last 9 years I've changed 2 AB output cards and 1 Siemens...and for the record...I have never had a HMI break (that is what this thread is about)

Well then... Git...

Aren't you comparing PLCs to Relays?

I don't deny that PLCs are much better than relays.

As far as "the name does not matter"...

The issue there is what tools are provided by the "name" and how reasonable are they in terms of the human thought process.

Yeah, apparently, at least for the time being, I'm pi$$ing against the wind... so what.

Crocop...

I'll have to put some time in to organize my gripes before I post them.

For the general viewing audience...

What's in your repertoire?

Terry Woods said:
Crocop...

I'll have to put some time in to organize my gripes before I post them.

For the general viewing audience...

What's in your repertoire?

I've used PLC2,5, SLC 500, CLX on the Rockwell Platform.

I've used Siemens 300.

I've used Koyo 05,06,205, and 405.

I've used Opto 22 Brains & IO.

I've used Omron CQ series.

I've done Object Oriented Programming 1 & 2 at the local University.

I use VB 2005 & OPC religiously as my HMI of choice.

I prefer the Rockwell controllers to any other I've used. I've found the 5000 series to be VERY close to getting to Object Oriented programming, which, from reading your posts, I assumed you would love the UDTs.

Anyhow, when you organize your gripes, please t-off. If there are shortcomings, and a better way, I would honestly like to hear about it.

ckchew666 said:
Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you guys knows if AB has a plan to manufacturer lower cost HMI? Something that would compare to Proface will be good.

I think the Proface HMI is much better than AB PanelView Standard, it should be compare with PV+. But the pricing wise Proface is much better. Furthermore their software is free also.

Thanks...please comment.

I say yes.