Any recommendations for ethernet switch? 28 ports needed

JimR

I'm putting together a network of 28 Automation Direct PLCs and 2 HMIs. I'll Have a master PLC with two ethernet network cards. One card will send ethenet data to 27 PLCs, while the other card deals with the 2 HMIs. I'm wondering what I should use as a network switch for the 27 Slave PLCs. I was looking at getting this 32 port switch http://www.trendnet.com/products/TE100-S32plus.htm and a small 5 port netgear switch for the HMIs. The slave PLCs are not doing a whole lot just moving motors when told and keeping track of one encoder. I' don't have much experience with networking so I'm not sure if there are any gotchas I have to watch out for. Thanks for any advice!
Jim

Netgear switches work OK in an industrial environment. Try to use all of the equipment from the same manufacturer, in theory you should not have problems but I have sometimes found that not to be the case.

At my site we were running 3 netgear switches and 1 fiber switch

we are running RsviewSe with 4 app. servers and 2 domain server with rssql and sql

with 8 plc we found out the hardway that this configuration would not run on net gear

we changed to Hirschmann Rs2 switches this solved alot fo problems with the Hmis

Even Rockwell thought were software problems..

agreed, Hirschmann has improved things 100%
they cost a bit more but well worth the money when u spend all ur time troubleshooting

Last edited:
Netgear might be OK at home or in your office but I would definitely find a Hirschmann agent and have a talk with him. Design will not cost you anything as they are all hoping for a sale. Regards Alan Case

What are the differences in using Hirschman vs. 3com or Netgear switches ? Anyone know where I can get them in Canada (Toronto area)

Here in Oz the Hirschman gear is sold by same area dealer that has the AB contract. I think Hirschman are a encompass partner of Rockwell

Try calling your AB dealer

Thanks for the info. I'll look them up. Much appreciated!! The environment I am running the PLCs is not very harsh. It is a theatre and the PLCs are controlling curtains. Is it still necessary or advantageous to go with an industrial switch in such a controlled environment? What are the benefits in my case. Thanks again.
Jim

You can get an 8 port Hirschman for $600 or a 16 port switch from Phoenix Contacts for $300. They mount on a din rail and hook up to 24 volts. With the popularity of Ethernet there are more choices and the guys who were the only game in town now look like they were taking everyone for a ride.