Anybus Communicator

WildeKurt

My local distributor is pushing a product called Anybus Communicator which is supposed to interface DF with EthernetIP (among other things). I'm wondering if anyone has used it and if it works well with RsLinx.

Interesting that you should bring them up: I was just looking at them today and requested some more information from HMS.

I haven't thought about using them in place of a 1761-NET-ENI or Digi One IAP, in which you would access serial-only controllers via RSLinx Classic.

I think of them more as message gateways for dissimilar protocols, like allowing you to connect to Modbus or ASCII devices over EtherNet/IP.

My applications need a custom query/response protocol. I could use the Prosoft MVI69 modules (the controller is CompactLogix) or a POINT serial module, or maybe these.

So in short: No, haven't used them. I've other HMS devices like the Anybus-X and been very pleased. Rockwell Automation actually cross-licenses hardware and firmware with HMS for some variants of the Anybus-X, and I know that the HMS Communicator sometimes wears Groupe Schneider green labels too.

While I have not used Anybus Directly with RSLink I have used them to connect devices to AB PLCs using EthernetIP and DF1. Anybus builds alot of these interfaces but sell them to be rebranded into other devices. I think their name pretty much sums them up.