Anyone else have problems with running two instances of Logix5K V16?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Several times during the last two weeks I've been running two instances of RS Logix5000, each with a separate file opened so that I can refer back to an older version program. One instance (the one with the new program V16) will be online, the other with the old version (V13) is offline. Several times one instance or the other will crash (both have crashed). A few minutes ago, I got a blue screen with both instances offline. No problems at all when I have only one instance running.

I haven't tried upgrading the old V13 file (its in use in another PLC), I guess I could make a backup and upgrade it.

Last week Logix5000 V16 crashed on me a couple of times while I was making online changes to a processor. Both times I had a second instance of RSLogix5k v16 running as well.

I just assumed it was a fluke thing, but it sounds like it may be more common than I originally thought.

Hmmm...

I made a backup copy of the reference file and upgraded it to V16, but after reading jimbo's comment that doesn't give me very much confidence.

When I get a chance I'll go ahead and open a case with tech support. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has had the issue and if they solved it.

I usually have multiple instances open at one time, most at rev 15 or 16, without problems.

Opening another, older rev program offline is also usually okay, unless I try to do a block copy of rungs (CTRL-C, or Right-Click-Copy). That will often crash the offline instance of Logix 5k.

I did have issues a while ago often, but haven't seen many since going to version 16.03.00

...unless I try to do a block copy of rungs (CTRL-C, or Right-Click-Copy)

o_O

Yep, exactly where I've run into problems. But I've also had crashes alt-tabbing between instances. I'm at ver 16.3.

Make sure you have 16.03, 16.00 had issues with Copy/paste in different versions
From 16.03 release notes:
Fatal Error copying rungs from project open with V16.00 to a project open with a previous version of RSLogix 5000 software (x76796)

rdrast said:
I usually have multiple instances open at one time, most at rev 15 or 16, without problems.

Opening another, older rev program offline is also usually okay, unless I try to do a block copy of rungs (CTRL-C, or Right-Click-Copy). That will often crash the offline instance of Logix 5k.

I did have issues a while ago often, but haven't seen many since going to version 16.03.00

DITTO

Most days I have 2 or more copies of Logix5k open, sometimes on line or offline and combinations of each, and have never really had much of an issue, but I am also running 16.03.
I know it's not much consolation but maybe V17 will address this issue for you, I'm told there's some minor bug fixes in it(yes, I know it's still a few weeks away yet).

Happens to me also, sometimes the copy/paste will work, once maybe, then CRASH, have to restart windoze to even attempt to copy/paste again.

Alaric said:
Hmmm...

I made a backup copy of the reference file and upgraded it to V16, but after reading jimbo's comment that doesn't give me very much confidence.

OK, two days now since I made a backup copy of the V13 program and upgraded the backup to V16.03. I haven't crashed, but I also only attempted one block copy.

Alaric said:
Several times during the last two weeks I've been running two instances of RS Logix5000, each with a separate file opened so that I can refer back to an older version program. One instance (the one with the new program V16) will be online, the other with the old version (V13) is offline. Several times one instance or the other will crash (both have crashed). A few minutes ago, I got a blue screen with both instances offline. No problems at all when I have only one instance running.

I haven't tried upgrading the old V13 file (its in use in another PLC), I guess I could make a backup and upgrade it.

Had the same problem last year, turned out my Rslogix5K V13 was .00, I switched to .04 and problem went away