AOI Sanity Check (overloading?)

JeremyM

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I've written a subroutine to compute the relative humidity for a process we're running in RS5K. I like it and think it's better to implement as an AOI. Needless to say, there are many possible units of measure for the three passed variables in use - wet bulb temperature, dry bulb temperature, and atmosphere pressure.

Instead of writing the AOI that many times over, I am toying with passing an integral value that indicates what the units actually are, then handling these cases internally. Bit 0 indicates a whether the wet bulb temperature is in F or C, Bit 1 indicates the dry bulb unit, and so on. Complicating this, there's also K to measure temperature with. Atmospheric pressure could be Pa, kPa, mmHG, inHG, or PSI and so on. Should I go all-inclusive or should I stick with a standard set of units only?

I think this is an interesting question of functional ownership - should an RH function do conversions at all or assume the calling code has been correctly written? What are your thoughts?

I think in most cases the units can be thought of more as a display feature than something integral to your computing. I would attempt to write my AOI in whatever "base" units I wanted to and then provide helper function to translate to whatever units are coming in or going out.

So you'd end up with a set of functions like F_TO_C(), C_TO_F(), PSI_TO_BAR(), etc...
If you are going to need to do the conversions anyway, might as well have them available to your whole program anyway and not be buried inside your AOI. Then your AOI would be much simpler as well.

Just my opinion (but at least it's free :) )

Last edited: