ASCII to ETHERNET /IP

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have been using Real Time Automation for a long time. Does anyone have another recommendation for ASCII serial to Ethernet//IP?

We have a scale supplier that wants easy. I think RTA is probably the easiest, but I dont want to get suck in my ways and be the old timer that says " I've done it this way for 20 years". I just making sure I dont get passed by with something newer and easier for the field guys to handle.

RTA is actually old timer.
Many scale manufacturers have Ethernet/IP. As option.
If not , use socket and save yourself $$$

Plus ASCII is limited, where socket approach can offer flexibility like download different programs to the scale.

Yes the RTA is old school. The terminals that we are retrofitting are all in Classified areas the PLC is outside the area. Ethernet/IP isnt rated for C1D1 installs.

Any new install is Ethernet/IP.

Is the control system AB or another brand? I have used both Point I/O and Flex5000 serial modules to talk to random check-weighers, barcode scanners, and printers in production lines before. It's likely whichever brand you are using will have a decentralised 232 offering with their I/O adapters.

The controller is AB . I wont always be onsite for setup or testing. The scale guys will be setting these up in the future for these retrofits. Thats why Im leaning towards keeping the RTA because of ease of setup for them. They just have to make sure the plant guy has the PLC TAG exactly the same.