ASCII to Panelview

firebrd10

I am receiving some ASCII values into my PLC via a barcode scanner.
Does anyone know how I can get these strings to display on a panelview? We are receiving both letters and numbers in the same sting so a standard numeric display just can't do the job.

System
SLC 5/04
PV600c running on DH+

Thanks,

Tim

One way that works

Make a text object and use the embedded character option to insert a ST file of your choice and length is one way. You can use an A (ascii) file too!

I think I can give you the basics...
To display a string, you need to set up a Character Array tag on the PanelView. Array size of the tag should be set to however many characters are in the string.
The tag should be assigned to an "A" or "N" file address. Note that each PLC address holds two characters (each ASCII character is 8 bits, thus two per word). I don't believe that the Panelview can read the String filetype, so if your data is in an ST file, you'll have to copy it to an A or N location--use the COP command and note that the first word of the destination is reserved for the length of the string. Example result of COP:

datafile.jpg

The Panelview will start reading characters at the tag address and continue reading consecutive addresses until it reaches the number of characters specified in the tag size.
To display the tag on the screen, I usually use a Text Object with an embedded character variable.
Hope this helps.

-John

Revision: Panelview may in fact read ST files directly but I don't have experience with this.

Last edited: