ASi Programmer power

Brew Chip

Greetings. I have an ifm ASi programmer that's getting a bit old and doesn't hold a charge very well anymore (in cold areas, I can only set a few addresses before it dies on me). While I'm waiting on a replacement, any tips for keeping this one working? If I open it up (clearly not under warranty), is it possible to wire in a new battery? If I plug the programmer into the powered ASi bus, will that fry the programmer?

AC1154. Hopefully letting the bus power the devices will take some of the load off the battery, but I'm still curious. If I open this up am I just going to find basic rechargeable AAs soldered to the board?

To follow up on my own question: yes, I popped it open and discovered a pack of 4 batteries soldered directly to the board. They look to be AA shape, but the pack is glued to a chunk of foam and I couldn't see any writing to indicate the voltage or type of battery. I got a replacement unit, so I handed the old one over to a field tech and he may or may not try replacing the battery at some point. If he does, I may or ma not come back to report!

Cheers

What about the battery life when using with ASi power? Any effect on the battery life? Or did you not test at all after all?