Pepperl+Fuchs switch Asi programming?

PiperJohn

Hi folks,
I had trouble with door switches on a machine I was working on today.
What first appeared to be as a simple reed switch turned out to be a Pepperl+Fuchs AS-i connected switch VAA-2E-IER2-S-0,15M-V1

I swapped the bad switch with another door nearby but the description on the HMI screen changed names.

This tells me the switch iitself is addressed.

If I order another switch (part 229232) How would I program it?

It's been a few years but they are programmable you need an ASI programmer they are availlable from P&F I believe, however, if it is set to address 0 then I know some ASI controllers will re-program them providing there is only one that was at fault & that one was replaced by a new one addressed to 0.
I have not worked with P&F ASI but IFM & Mitsubishi ASI cards, on those there are two buttons on the card we mainly used the programmer to set the address however, I did do a couple by pressing the program button on the ASI card let it scan through & it re-programmed the new sensor, not sure if others have this capability. It is a good idea to have a list of the ASI sensors with their addresses as a silly mistake can put it in a right mess.
I know one engineer replaced 2 at the same time not knowing the sensors were default at 0 it wrote the wrong addresses as far as I could gather although it was not known if the sensors were already programed by somebody i.e. as a test or if they had been replaced, not made a difference etc.

Make sure you have the right connector or actual socket on the programmer we had a load of asi valve heads these needed a cable with a 4 pin 12mm round plug to open ends (2 wires) as the programmer had a socket to fit a proximity directly but the valve heads only had a connector block we also had some oddball ones that used a small 5mm plug.
Normally as long as you program the sensor to the right address and not re-scanned the ASI card then just plug it in & it will work.
One of our systems had over 800 of these mostly valves so we had a chart on the wall with all the valve numbers & addresses on it.

The programmer should have it. Even if I have the wrong connector, I think I can just splice another cable end provided polarity is observed.

Hopefully I won't screw something up. LOL