Automation Direct DL05 - Wonderware

DBLD99

Anyone know if you can use a DL05 and communicate to wonderware, with or without the ethernet addon. Thanks for your time.

According to the www.wonderware.com in there IO driver section, they say they have a driver for Automation Direct PLC's. They don't really specify how the driver works.

I would call your local wonderware rep and he could give you more information.

Even if they don't have a driver specifically for the DL05, you could use an OPC driver such as KepDirect for PLCs.

I've used Wonderware with AutomationDirect.com (ADC) PLCs. I did it using Modbus, which both ADC and Wonderware supported at that time. If WonderWare is advertising specific ADC drivers, it is probably DirectNet protocol.

The only downside to this combination, in either Modbus or DirectNet protocols, is that at that time (about five years ago) Wonderware couldn't access individual bits, so you had to read words and bit strip. That may have changed.

Yeah you have to be very careful of this kind of thing. Lots of suppliers will claim "we've got drivers for every PLC, DCS, BMS, RTU and QUERTY washing machine ever made".

And when you get your hands on it you find that the install is clunky, the help file was written by an offensively obtuse Ebonian, the GUI is primitive, it has significant limitations on what types of data it can access or the performance is dodgy. Am I exaggerating? Well no..I've run into any and all of the above in the last year or so.

Typically I've found that what you get for free is worth aproximately what you paid for it. Lesson. Try it before you buy into it. It's not the cost of the driver that hurts, it's the potential loss of credibility in front of the client and all the unchargeable hours spent doing re-writes and workarounds that cause the real pain.

Last time I checked Wonderware doesn't have an AD driver that is part of their standard I/O servers. You can get an I/O server from one of Wonderware's 3rd party partners, at an additional cost.

If you want to save some money, buy the KEPDirect I/O server from AD and order your Wonderware Development or Runtime license without I/O.