AUTOMATION DIRECT PLC & DRIVES

I have used their low-end PLCs on occassion and found them to be adequate for most jobs and the programming software was OK. I here that the DL205?? series is a pretty nice PLC.

I have used their drives often. They are good, low-cost options for my standard Yaskawa VFDs. They have some pretty neat features and the tech support is outstanding. I think that they also offer the Hitachi VFDs. I have used these drives extensively since I used to work for Hitachi and I like them quite a bit.

As a whole, I think that Automation Direct is a great company. I purchase the majority of my panel components from them and from time to time, more advanced equipment like the drives.

Regards

I have never used their drives, but I think their PLC's pretty much suck. They're octal, which is no biggie, just annoying to me. The software is not user friendly to me. If you used that stuff often I guess you could get used to it. But, our customers and we, as programmers, like AB. The only time we've used the Automation Direct plcs is on small machines or to cut alot of cost. I would strongly recommend Twido for this type of application. The plcs are about the same price and much more programmer friendly in my opinion. Plus, the software is FREE. Just google it and it should show you the Schneider/SquareD website. You can download it there I believe.

When I go from a project in AB to one in TwidoSoft, I don't feel like I've stepped back into the stone age like I always did with the Automation Direct stuff. Also, the Zelio smart relays from Schneider are very handy!

sacsac said:
...for this type of application....

What type of application? I did not see any application in their post... they just asked about the PLC.

I have used many and like them very much, they also have a free software that you can download and try.

When given a chose as what products to use on an application, I chose AD. I've been useing them for years and had very few problems that could not been resolved quickly.

"The only time we've used the Automation Direct plcs is on small machines or to cut alot of cost. I would strongly recommend Twido for this type of application."

So, "this type of application" would be small machines or ones to cut alot of cost.
As far as two com ports on a base module, I don't believe so. But, you can get several comms modules for the Twidos, including an ethernet interface. One thing to consider with the Twidos, if you use 120VAC inputs, (we try to go 24VDC when possible) you cannot buy a Twido base module with 120VAC inputs. You can get an expansion IO card with 120VAC inputs, but all of their base modules have 24VDC inputs as far as I know.

In one plant where I worked, we installed AD PLCs after it was discovered that Siemens S7-200's could not do what we needed. IIRC, we installed about 32 of them - they've now been running for about 8 years with NO failures.

I've been very impressed with AD PLCs!

Other than OEM equipment purchases, every PLC and HMI we currently use in our plant is from AutomationDirect. We have literally saved hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last ten years, allowing the installation of automated systems that we would never have been able to afford otherwise.

For example, we have a DL260 processor that runs our MCC (48 buckets), multi-compressor chilled water system, 10 air-handler HVAC system, 2-blender batching operation, 2-bay tanker receiving system, 10 finished-goods silos over ethernet I/O, 5 raw silos and a cluster of 16 PMO mix-proof valves over DeviceNet, all associated flow meters, scales, and supporting valving, three 17" LookoutDirect-based touch screens and a 15" C-More touch screen.

AutomationDirect PLC's aren't better or worse than other systems. They're simply tools that we could afford and that we've been able to run at the outer edges of their performance envelopes, when necessary, to meet our needs.

For a final thought, I've got our AB TechConnect agreement on my desk -- I've been trying to avoid signing it. >$20,000 for a 3 year contract. That's more than we've spent on every piece of software we've ever purchased from A/D combined. And every time the AB rep gives me that annoying "you get what you pay for" line, I tell him about our very busy little DL260.

I haven't used their drives, but I can heartily endorse ADC PLCs and HMIs. I've been using them for many years, ever since they opened their doors and were still known as "PLCDirect". I personally like their software, but that is a matter of taste and familiarity for any brand. Their tech support is great, and product quality and availability are equal to any.

I used a C-more screen from Automation Direct on a project a while back. I really liked it. I don't question the quality of Automation Direct plcs as far as reliability. We have used several with no problems. My reason for disliking them is the software. I don't find it user friendly at all. It's very annoying to me. All of the programmers here hate using it as well. But, that's a matter of personal choice. I find TwidoSoft to be a much more modern style software.

Hello all,
I've been hanging out reading all the great posts here for some time now. Just been waiting for a topic to chime in on. We use the Durapulse Line of VFDs from AD and we love them. 20+ drives and 0 problems. We also have a few of their PLCs in service for years without any issues. Two thumbs up from me.

I have never had a problem with any of the 25 AD plc's that I have scattered aroud the world...I did have to change the relay output cards on one unit after they had run an average of 750,000cycles, but I shouldn't have used relay outputs in the first place....

Now the company that I build panels on the side for has converted over to AD also...and saved more than 2/3 of what the same panel had cost w/ AB...and it took me less time to build by using the ziplinks...

David