Bandwidth for programming to SLC/MLogix

Erik vdH

Hi all,

I'm attempting to measure the network bandwidth requirements from Logix 500 to an SLC and Micrologix.

The programming software is on Windows server 2003 and I am using the performance tool to measure the network traffic. I've correlated that to the task manager one and they read about the same.

When I go online using the current program I measure about 80kbit/sec. This is about what I expected.

Something I didn't expect however, is when you don't have a program and so upload to a new file, once you are back online monitoring the program to network traffic rate is a lot higher. Both task manager and performance monitor report traffic of around 2Mbits/sec. I didn't believe it so repeated the test several times and to 2 different PLCs (an SLC5/05 and a Micrologix 1100) with the same result every time.

Does anyone have any insight as to why the bandwidth required using a "blank uploaded program" is so much higher than when you have the latest code to go online with?

Note: I am not talking about the bandwidth required to actually upload the program, I'm talking about once that has finished and you are simply monitoring it through Logix 500.

***Cancel this***.

I've since realised that there was a crashed Logix 500 process in the background that was interferring with this. Once I terminated that process, things looked a lot more normal.