Banner dual touch run bar and pilz safety relay

Amy_Fields

I have a banner dual touch run bar (replacing an older dual palm button station) which I am trying to tie into a pilz safety relay (Pilz p2hz x3) I can get it to work if I use two relays (One from each palm button) and wire the NC/NO contacts from the relay into S11 and S21. My question is, could this be done without the relays? Could I just wire the two palm buttons into the safety relay by themselves? I have tried this but cannot get it to work. Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks

Safety relays do not act like normal relays.
Some have a switch setting for Automatic Restart VS No Automatic Restart.
Some are set up for 1 channel operation and some require 2 estop channels turning on at exactly the same time for the relay to reset.

Download the Instructions for your relay. Read them. Make sure it is wired and configured correctly and if you still have a problem come back and we can help further.

Hi Amy,

I'm not sure how you've had it wired with the relays you've mentioned, against what you attempted so far directly to the Pilz relay, so I'm not sure what, if anything, is wrong with your wiring. It should work directly between the two?

You may or may not already know the following, and something else might be amiss, but I'll lay it out anyway so as to rule out the basics.

As I'm sure you know, the Pilz P2HZ X3 is specifically designed as a two-hand safety control relay. The trick with this relay is that both safety channel inputs must switch from a positive to a negative signal, within the simultaneity time of 500ms, when the two-handed device is actuated. So while the device is unattended, both of its N/C contacts must switch +24VDC to their respective channel inputs (S11, S21). When the device is actuated, the N.C. contacts open first, then the N.O. contacts close, switching -24VDC to their respective channel inputs.

STB 1:
You connect -24VDC to your STB 1 N.O. - "1"
You connect Channel 1 input "S11" to your STB 1 Com - "2"
You connect +24VDC to your STB 1 N.C. - "3"

Supply:
You connect +24VDC to your Duo Touch - "4"
You connect -24VDC to your Duo Touch - "5"

STB 2:
You connect -24VDC to your STB 2 N.O. - "6"
You connect Channel 2 input "S21" to your STB 2 Com - "7"
You connect +24VDC to your STB 2 N.C. - "8"

See attached "homemade" diagram...