Barcode Printing

aviale

Hello, I am using a Micrologix 1500 to print a barcode only containing numbers(Date and part #). This is the first time I have done this so bare with me. I am using a zebra z4mplus and a serial communication to do this. I have the proper null modem cable but I don't know the process of what to send to the printer to get it to print a barcode. I was hoping someone might have a relavent example I could look at including the channel configuration. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi aviale:

I've done the same using a Siemens S7-300 series in an instalation in Portugal. I don't have the program with me, otherwise I would share it with you. But I can tell you how I did it.
I started by gathering all information about the Zebra printer (and it's quite a lot) then I had a meeting with a tech. guy from Zebra to established the string I had to send throught the serial port.
Then I had to read the siemens manual to learn how to send ASCII characters using the serial port.
Try, if you can, experiment in an bench before you go to site.

Sorry for not being to must assistence...
God luck,

MifPT :)

Hey MifPt, Thanks for the reponse. I have figured out the string I need to send but I sent it using hyperterminal. It printed properly but the wiring diagram they supplied for the 9 pin cable was wrong. I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to print with their cable and finally I switched to a 2-3 swapped 5 straight through cable and it printed right away. My next hurdle is to get the PLC to print the same barcode. If you have any info on the port settings and ascii instruction I need to use I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey PANIC, I see you are from Toronto, I just moved to Melbourne Australia from Windsor Ontario. Anyways, I do have the second channel on the micrologix and I have been playing around with the AWT command with no luck yet. I am pretty sure I have to play around with the COM settings for the ASCII output. If you have any hints to setting up the ASCII port please let me know, Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Z4MPlus, but it most likely uses Zebra's formatting language known as ZPL II. Below is a link to the ZPL II programming guide.

http://www.scarpaz.com/barcodes/ZPLII-vol1-45541LBR3.pdf#search="ZPL II"

Basically you just need to set up a plain ASCII formatting string that tells the printer what type of barcode to use and what info to put in it out on the COM port. The printer will recieve it, process it and spit out a barcode label.

aviale,

Double click on Channel Configuration and setup channel 1, if that is the channel you plan to use like the attached jpeg. This will also output a carriage return line feed.

HTH,
Don