Barcode Reader on Ethernet/IP

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I know there are a million barcode reader threads out there, but I haven't been able to find anything really recent and just wanted to get a few people's opinions on the latest Ethernet/IP barcode readers.

I've used the Sick CLV series before and while they're very capable units, they're quite expensive and way over the top for what I'm doing here. This is just going to be a case of, operator picks up box, waves it in front of barcode scanner, and machine prepares for that box. All I need is that barcode string, sent in over Ethernet/IP.

I've had a look and the Microscan QX830 seems to be a good fit, and Keyence and Cognex also have some good looking units, although I'm not sure exactly what model would suit me best. Anyone got any recent experience with any of these? Primary concern is ease of getting the data into my ControlLogix, and if it can be configured without software (e.g. from a web broswer) then it gets bonus points.

Thanks all!

I'm an end user of data logic and love them.
If you're using >=V21 Logix the new EDS (AOP) install method is by far the easiest way to get a barcode into your PLC.
Have tried the SICK units, just to much work to get them into the logix.
Andrew Zupo (Reaz) is the distributor in Victoria

Awesome, great to have local knowledge! I haven't come across those ones yet but I'll check them out. They seem to have a lot of different models, any particular one you favour?

Thanks!

I use Keyence sr-751, sr-752,and sr-1000, it was the easiest setup I have done yet for barcode readers. I just downloaded the GSD file from keyence and installed in my hardware manager gave it a IP address and they were ready to go. I could make a VAT table and start looking at the PIB and PQB the whole process didn't take 30 minutes.

I have several dataman barcode readers from cognex with excellent results, my platform is controllogix and compactlogix from allen bradley. Their support is excellent here.

I have several dataman barcode readers from cognex with excellent results, my platform is controllogix and compactlogix from allen bradley. Their support is excellent here.

Same here lots of Dataman readers and so far no problems. An cognex is super easy to install, they have an AOP for Rockwell and also have "VisionView" (a simplified version of their configuration software) which can be installed on a PanelView Plus if needed.

Regards
Ian