Barcode Scanner String Input

codedRed

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution where I can use a barcode scanner to input a string into a PLC tag. All AB hardware/software.

I'm aware that it can be done via a PanelView via USB.. and if you have an 'input text box' selected on the HMI, you can use the scanner to load a string.. but I would like to be able to load a tag without the use of the HMI.. the scanning will be remote from the PanelView.

If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your guidance.

Thank you

First you need to figure out how are you going to connect the scanner to the PLC.

With the HMI, it treats the scanner basically like it's a USB keyboard entering characters one at a time. Since the PLC doesn't have that sort of input available, you either need a scanner that can communicate directly with the PLC (eg via Ethernet) or something else to interface between the two.

I would use a Real time Automation USB adapter. It allows the scanner to connect to the PLC and pass the data flawlessly.

Then we must ask - what is the PLC? :D

Magic 8-ball says this is obviously a PLC-2 and FTView SE application.

But could be PanelBuilder32 with a 5583E.

Keyence have sample code on their website, I've used the SR-1000 before.

If I were going to use a barcode scanner (camera, not handheld) it would be a Cognex DataMan. I want to avoid that and just use some kind of dumb hand scanner that just reads a basic 1d barcode string.. preferably wireless with some kind of controller or device that can read and share data with PLC via EIP

Last edited:
I think the RTA 435 is for a serial connection. The 460 series has a USB input. There may be other option as well.