Siemens S7/TIA v18/WinCC: Barcode scanner integration...

Mas01

I thought I was nearly finished on this TIA Portal/s7-1212C project (famous last words)...

Up until now, I'd developed the PLC/HMI such that the operator has to manually enter a 7-digit alpanumeric string as the component's serial number (code parses string for validity).

Now the customer is saying "Oh, our operators might mis-type the serial number - so now we want to be able to scan a unique barcode each time."

okay fair enough, but I've no idea if this is a big or small change LOL.

So does anyone know how a scanner would connect to a PLC? Is it via a USB connector?

Also, no idea how to convert a valid Serial Number e.g. ABC3654, into a barcode.

Anyone have experience of barcode scanners and can help?

In the meantime, I'll dig around!

Thanks

Last edited:
Many HMI's can read barcodes, however, the one you have is limited so may not. If you need to in terface it to the PLC then either Ethernet or 232 not many PLC's have USB other than the programming interface, you are reading the barcode the reader converts it into characters, there should be some software to create barcodes i.e. you type in the chars & it prints the barcode either onto self adhesive paper or card. not cheap though.

The easiest barcode scanners to integrate act as a keyboard to a PC, or in this case an HMI. As long as your basic panel has a USB port and works with a plugged in keyboard, you could use one. Just click in the IO field, zap the code, and it "types" it into the field. These are great for manual processes, like yours seems to be.

Also possible to have barcode scanners that go back to the PLC, which could integrate in a variety of ways, including PN, modbus TCP, raw TCP, serial, etc. This are often better for automatic reads, like reading every pallet going down a conveyor, where an operator isn't otherwise required.

The easiest barcode scanners to integrate act as a keyboard to a PC, or in this case an HMI. As long as your basic panel has a USB port and works with a plugged in keyboard, you could use one. Just click in the IO field, zap the code, and it "types" it into the field. These are great for manual processes, like yours seems to be.

Understood thanks.
Yes, at the moment I do have a standard keyboard plugged into the HMI, only because it's quicker for me to type on it, rather than using the touchscreen.
Thanks for explaining how the data's entered into the HMI.
I *think* the customer already has a barcode label printer being used on other projects, so we can use that.
I found out that you can download special barcode fonts for using in excel which will convert the alphanumeric string into a barcode.

Integrating a barcode scanner is a valuable addition to your project. The connection method depends on the scanner, often USB or Ethernet. Use barcode generation software to convert serial numbers to barcodes. Update your HMI and implement error handling for data validation.

Integrating a barcode scanner is a valuable addition to your project. The connection method depends on the scanner, often USB or Ethernet. Use barcode generation software to convert serial numbers to barcodes. Update your HMI and implement error handling for data validation.

Yes @RonaldHans - since creating this thread, I've now got one of these added to the system. A Honeywell 1300G-2. USB connection to the HMI. Nice piece of kit.

Your first post (at the time of reading), so welcome to the forum.

honeywell 13300g-2.png

I've never had to use a barcode scanner, but before I saw the table above I would have thought you could use a CM 1241 with a DB9 connector?

I've never had to use a barcode scanner, but before I saw the table above I would have thought you could use a CM 1241 with a DB9 connector?

Yes, that's also possible, but for this application it's much easier for us to just connect the scanner directly into the back of the HMI.