Battery life of a Micrologix 1400

John Morris

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning to all

Quick question. How long will the original AB battery support installed programming on a Micrologix 1400

The units were near brand new when we tested and shipped them out, and from what the customer is telling us now, they might sit for near five years before installation and commissioning. (Long ridiculous story)

Thank you for your time

We replace our back up batteries every three years, you can't reliably predict a batery life. It is very likely - as you said - the product may be sitting for five years on a shelf.

BR

Stef.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I thought the battery was only for the real time clock. Program is written to non-volatile memory I think.

EDIT: looks like program memory is "non-volatile battery backed". So disregard my comment.

Last edited:
Sounds like a memory module (1766-MM1) might be a good investment here, along with some obvious documentation (a label on the ML1400 itself?) that the battery should be changed by X date. I think AB says 5 years, I've seen them last longer of course but we recommended 3 year battery replacements to be safe.

bjh

Memory modules were installed on all processors.

We just got the word last Friday that they might put off installation until a new building was built to house our equipment and other like processes. Considering the customer, that might take up to five years.

I was needing to know so the customer could be charged for the battery maintenance or they sign off on doing it themselves..

Thank you everyone for the input.

B/r

Thanks for everyone's input