baying a new laptop what brand/model?

I use a dell c610 or d610 (I think) at work and the screen is just to small at times. But the real serial port is good. Would Probably really like it but IT Dept has winlock running and some other stuff that chokes the hell out of it. Running Win2000 on it.

Personally I have an Inspirion 9100 from dell with 15.4 screen 3.0 GHZ and 512 ram. Once they replaced the graphics card. I use it for everything from plc/hmi (allen bradley stuff) to running slide shows on second screen with dj software on main screen and transferring pics from camera all at once.

Typically it performs logging/control of my home on rsviewme and trends in rs500 while I have many web pages open all thru a wireless connection.

It has yet to really stumble on me except when I play some graphic intense games while logging/control is on the second screen.

Sorry neither is a true life screen (haven't heard of that yet).
Drewcrew6

Last edited:
My Dell XPS170 has the true life screen, and it is incredible. At first I thought I wouldn't like it because of the reflection, but now a regular screen looks fuzzy to me. I don't even notice the reflection at all now. I'm sold on them.

marksji said:
1) IBM "T" series - Great computers, built for the "real" world, not industrial strength, but definitely built to be moved around a lot.

We had an old thinkpad that we used to use in our maintenance shop for plc troubleshooting. The think was a beast. It got dropped, kicked around, was never properly shut down, full of dust... and yet it's still going strong. Too slow to be worth anything, but since we replaced it a couple of years ago the guys have been through 1 hp and 2 dells.

4) Dell - Flimsy build and spotty initial quality. If you get a good one out of the box (probably 70% - 80% chance of a good one) then it will be a good computer for many years as long as you give it a lot of TLC.

Dell build and sells garbage as far as I'm concerned. I never have good luck with odds, so I must always get stuck dealing with the 20%-30% bad ones. The laptop that the guys on the crew have now is a Dell. I can't fathom how they can use it without getting so frustrated that it finds it's way into the compactor. Seriously... Dell is the eMachines of the laptop world as far as I'm concerned.

6) Compaq - Total junk; they were good notebooks up until about 2 years before HP bought Compaq.

7) HP - Total junk.

My last laptop was a HP... It wasn't terrible, but it was designed for win98 and the networking folks forced me to upgrade to win xp which rendered it barely usable.

Now I'm using an HP/Compaq nc6000 and the thing has been faithful to me for over a year now. It goes wherever I go and once took a nasty spill off a maintenance cart and it's still chugging along running just about as well as the day I got it. I do take good care of it 99% of the time though.

I own a Dell D510, and after owning a few diffrent brands I like it the best by far it runs quite well with a Pentium M processor and the 1224mb of memory. I have had it for about six months now with no problems, and it has a RS232 port as well. The screen is not a wide screen but so far it has not been a problem for me I'm just happy with the over all performance, for the 1300 price tag you can't go wrong. You can always get a machine with more features if you want to, but
I would take into consideration what you will need and not so much what you want, It's real easy to get into a pricey machine with features you really don't need. So I guess it's all about what you want to pay for.