beer bet

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
In the year 2000, I had to hold the shift key down before clicking on an object in Wonderware.

Do you still have to do this in 2016?

Is it just me, or does it seem if you take the opposite of the brand name into consideration:
cimplicity, not very simple
wonderware, not very wonderful
Logix, not very logical

In the year 2000, I had to hold the shift key down before clicking on an object in Wonderware.

Are you referring to "Runtime Mode"?

Odd...as early as 1994, I didn't have to hold the shift key down to select an object (in Runtime or Development)?

If you are talking Development Mode.....you do not have to either.....you just have to be "calm" when you select the object.

Holding down the shift key keeps the object from accidentally moving... if you move the mouse when you select the object. I use this all the time for this reason....so much that I rarely don't hold down the shift key when selecting the object.
This was probably taught to you as normal function for that reason, and you never tried to select without the shift key?

It is not a Wonderware negative it is a plus...

Also....more shortcuts

Intouch SCADA Keyboard Shortcuts

F2 -----Select All
Ctrl + A -----Animation Links
Ctrl + E -----Substitute Tags
Ctrl + L -----Substitute Strings
Ctrl + T -----Tagname Dictionary
Ctrl + W -----Window Properties
Ctrl + N -----New Window
Ctrl + O -----Open Window
Ctrl + S -----Save Window
Ctrl + Plus --Enlarge Font
Ctrl + Minus -Reduce Font
Ctrl + Z -----Undo
Ctrl + Y -----Redo
Ctrl + D -----Duplicate
Ctrl + X -----Cut
Ctrl + C -----Copy
Ctrl + V -----Paste
Del ----------Erase
Shift + Plus -Enlarge Radius (Rounded Rectangle)
Shift + Minus-Reduce Radius (Rounded Rectangle)
Ctrl + R ----Reshape Object (Polygon)
F9 ----------Send to Back
Shift + F9 --Bring to Front
Ctrl + H ----Space Horizontal
F6 ----------Rotate CW
Shift + F6 --Rotate CCW
F7 ----------Flip Horizontal
Shift + F7 --Flip Vertical
F5 ----------Make Symbol
Shift + F5 --Break Symbol
F3 ----------Make Cell
Shift + F3 --Break Cell

Last edited:

I've been working with Wonderware InTouch since it was running on the Windows 3.1 OS, and I've never "had to" hold down the shift key prior to selecting an object in WindowMaker. I've always had the option of doing so, if I am attempting to pick out a small object surrounded (or overlaid) by other nearby objects. I can assure you that this is still an option in Version 2014 R2 SP1.

Holding down the shift key prior to clicking on an object allows you to avoid the possibility of accidentally moving the object that you are attempting to select. I like this particular feature, but it's never been mandatory to employ the feature in order to select an object. You can select an object by wrapping a "rubber band box" around it, if that's your preferred method.

okay...who won the beer bet?

Still pending.

I never got a valid answer.

I got: It never was. To that dude: Dude (well, I was using it in California), the only way your statement is valid is if you always clicked on the screen first. It wasn't I that had a problem w/ it as much as all of the oil field dunderheads that would click on objects and inadvertently move them.

As far as your steady hand argument goes, I call b.s. Have you ever heard of trackballs where you can click on objects w/o the mouse cursor moving?

I bet you are an employee and/or salesman.

Is it just me, or does it seem if you take the opposite of the brand name into consideration:
cimplicity, not very simple
wonderware, not very wonderful
Logix, not very logical

That just made my day!!

Don't forget some nick names:
Wonderware/Blunderware
Window Maker/Widow Maker
iFix/IFuc$ed
Logix/Clogix
Logix 5000/5K Bugs
FTView/FTSpew
Excel/ExSmell
PanelView/PanelSpew

I remember a trade show when they introduced what is now Rockwell Software as Rocksoft. That name lasted about 2 hours when everybody was saying "Pull down your Wonderware and get your Rocksoft".

Oh and to answer your question, yes you still have to hold shift to click on something so it doesn't move! It's up to version 10.5 now and NOTHING has changed since version 7.11. They spend all their resources on that System Platform garbage I refuse to use.

Last edited:
Still pending.

I never got a valid answer.

I got: It never was. To that dude: Dude (well, I was using it in California), the only way your statement is valid is if you always clicked on the screen first. It wasn't I that had a problem w/ it as much as all of the oil field dunderheads that would click on objects and inadvertently move them.

As far as your steady hand argument goes, I call b.s. Have you ever heard of trackballs where you can click on objects w/o the mouse cursor moving?

I bet you are an employee and/or salesman.

Nope....Just a lowly programmer using Intouch since 1994.

If you do not believe the steady hand argument...okay with me. When you are 60 (or drink to much coffee) and have been programming as long as I have, you will understand a slightly shakey hand and I guess all those "dunderheads" you spoke of are also old farts or heavy coffee drinkers..
Test it....you can select an object without using the shift key. Then after you see that works....do it again and while holding the shift key, you will see you cannot move object...even with your mouse.

Forget the beer...I will buy you a steak if what I said is not true.

In this statement...
"It wasn't I that had a problem w/ it as much as all of the oil field dunderheads that would click on objects and inadvertently move them."
You didn't teach the "dunderheads" to hold down the shift key when they select an object?
And...this statement is a little misleading... it means that you do have to hold down the shift key only you do not want to accidentally move the object during selection....no shift key...object may move when selected.....like I said.

Last edited:
Yes, still have to hold down the shift key. They got that zoom feature which helps some but also crashes windowmaker sometimes...and it's up to version 11.1 (2014 R2).